CONFUSING Doubledown Soft Hands
  • So I was thinking... you know those soft hands against 3-6, particularly the Soft 17 (A-6) that you're ALWAYS supposed to hit or double on, because 17 is such a weak hand in the first place (although of course most ignorant BJ players stay cuz they dont know any better)? :roll: :roll: Well, what is the proper move if a soft hand is presented AFTER the first 2 cards (lowbies)? For example, you're dealt a 2 & 4 against dealer 5 so you hit, than you get an Ace, so now you have a soft 17... now, you have a Soft 17 but in this case what BS says is to DOUBLE but there's a slight problem. You cant because it's after the first 2 cards - therefore cannot double down on your soft 17. So... against a 5 showing what's the proper move? To just HIT your soft 17 to try and improve it even though dealer shows a hella weak card right? I think it's the proper move, but sometimes if you're dealt your soft hand this way it can be confusing as to what the CORRECT play calls for.

Now, if I'm not mistakened, when dealt, for example a 3/4/Ace sequence against dealer 3 we'd STAND since we cannot double anymore right? We wouldn't wanna wreck that soft 18 even AGAINST a bust card would we?
    That's all folks.
  • On page 58 of B/J Bluebook II, it explains that you should never, ever stand on any kind of soft 17, no matter how many cards it contains and that you should indeed stand on any multi-card soft 18 --unless-- the dealer shows a 9, 10 or Ace, in which case you should hit.
  • Yeah, sorry I dont have BJ bluebook... is that available somewhere online just to read? What all does that book have in it that I would find useful other than my 2 BJ books?

Renzey, why the huge difference with soft 17 and soft 18? Hit against EVERYTHING when you have soft 17 of invariable # of cards, but when you have 1 value higher you'd ONLY hit when they show a 9, 10, or Ace?!

I'd be more than thrilled to see all the analysis you can present to me regarding this, Mr. Renzey.
  • BUG; The book is only available in hard copy. But -- if you log onto Amazon.com and go to "books", then type in "blackjack", you'll see it there. If you click on the picture of the cover, you'll be able to view and read 12 scattered sample pages to get a feel for what it's about. As for soft 17 vs. soft 18? 17 is an underdog against ANY dealer's up-card, except the 6 where it is even money -- but a soft 17 cannot be busted with the next hit. Soft 18 is a favorite against everything but a 9, 10 or Ace, and becomes a smaller dog vs. all three if you hit -- but does better by resting on its "favorite" status against an 8 on down.
  • BuGhOu§eMASTER said:
    Yeah, sorry I dont have BJ bluebook... is that available somewhere online just to read? What all does that book have in it that I would find useful other than my 2 BJ books?

Renzey, why the huge difference with soft 17 and soft 18? Hit against EVERYTHING when you have soft 17 of invariable # of cards, but when you have 1 value higher you'd ONLY hit when they show a 9, 10, or Ace?!

I'd be more than thrilled to see all the analysis you can present to me regarding this, Mr. Renzey.

Bug -- many of the questions you ask are answered in Fred's book. I recommend you buy it, even though you already have two other books. I'm sure Fred would be pleased to answer follow-up questions.
  • But if I have a question about something, that is what this forum is for... right? How much is this book? And what all type of information does it consist of?
  • B/J Bluebook II is $16.00. It's 217 pages in 6 x 9 format with 60 pictorial illustrations. In a nutshell, it's contents are:
    Blackjack IQ Test.
    Why Blackjack can be beaten.
    6 Prevalent Blackjack Myths and why they are just that.
    Rules and basic strategies for different deck configurations.
    Playing above and beyond basic strategy without counting cards including. the Rule of 45 for 16 vs. 10, the Doctor Pepper Rule for 12 vs. 4, the Mag 7 Hands, Hand Interaction i.e. -- when you have 7/7 vs. 3, should you let the player next to you take one of your 7's and play it with his money?, and finally, High Card/Low Card Layouts.
    The Ace/10 Front Count.
    The KISS Count (Keep It Simple Stupid).
    A dozen artful techniques for increasing a winning player's edge or preserving his right to play
    The Mentor Count -- a top performing two level balance count for gleaning the maximum return.
  • P.S. -- You can go to Amazon.com, click on books, then type in blackjack. Blackjack Bluebook II will be listed in the top three of 192 B/J titles. Click on the picture of the cover and you can browse thru a dozen sample pages from the book.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!