Your thoughts on these two betting structures...
  • Which method of betting would you use:

A.)
    Start with two units.
    After a win, increase one unit until you reach five units and start over.
    After a loss, decrease back to two units.

or

B.)
    Start with three units for "base".
    After each win, bet two-thirds less.
    After each loss, bet one-third more.
    After two losses in a row, reduce by two-thirds after each loss thereafter until hitting the minimum.
    After two wins in a row, increase bets by one-third of previous until a loss. After this loss, reduce wager by two-thirds and use this as your new "base."

B seems like the better deal but that is a wholelotta math on top of BS
  • Yes, B is quite confusing...

And A the way you described it is just Thomason's progression except you [b]STAY[b] at 5 units until you lose, you dont just play once, win and go back to the bottom. Just trying to make it clear because you didn't :)

I prefer A though... what about the 1-3-2-6 method? You tried that before?
  • hayswill- Not quite sure what you mean. If you decrease your bet of $15, by two-thirds on a win, you are now betting $5. So, I take it to mean that you parlay the win, then reduce it by two-thirds and bet $10. If the table limit is $5 to $500, (A) will never reach it.
    (B) will reach it (if you play long enough), But you have to win 16 hands in a row, so it won't get there often. In an extreme (and unlikely) scenario, if two players were at the same table and one was using (A), the other (B) and Both won 16 hands in a row (A) would have won $230 and have a $15 bet out. (B) would have won $1,920 and have a $500 bet out. As for the increasing your bets by one-third, very easy and almost no math needed. Just pull your winning bets back and make three even stacks(or as close as you can)bet two stacks and keep one......After a good run, I don't like the "After a loss, reduce wager two-thirds and use this as your new base" In the above scenario where we did win the 16 hands in a row, your new "Base" would be $640.
  • Be carful about increasing your bet by TOO much. You'd feel terrible if you had a big bet out, and had to split a pair of 8's against a 10, then resplit, then catch a 3 and double, and loose all four max bets! You'd loose it all in one hand.
  • Mr. Ed- Yes, you could and that brings up a interesting question. A small better, that gets on a run using the (B) method, is going to be way past his comfort zone. Is that player better off to Not play the hand "right" and protect the win, or just throw caution to the wind and go for it ?
  • BuGhOu§eMASTER said:
    Yes, B is quite confusing...

And A the way you described it is just Thomason's progression except you [b]STAY[b] at 5 units until you lose, you dont just play once, win and go back to the bottom. Just trying to make it clear because you didn't :)

I prefer A though... what about the 1-3-2-6 method? You tried that before?

In your opinion, is it better to keep going with the 5 units until a loss or drop back to one?

I have been trying the 1, 3, 2, 6 method, I think. I'm not sure if you place those bets in that pattern regardless of win or loss or only advance after wins. I've been playing it as the latter and it's worked decently, about the same as A mentioned above.

I do play low stakes but I usually play poker so I have no problem with throwing the money out there when the time is right or at least in my favor when it comes to splitting and doubling down.

Also, BS is BS but which BS is the best BS? I have found what seems to work for me but it's a little different than the hitorstand game. I'm sure this depends on the table rules.
  • Midnight- You bring up an interesting point that, in my opinion, is the
    most taxing situation that most gamblers must face and for the most
    part fail. You select the game your going to play and all its consequences
    are a part of that decision. The real question here is; are you one of the
    few who can deal with the fact that a nickel is just a nickel and it makes
    no difference if its red, green,or black..........................................
  • Hayswill, How do you vary from the Hit or Stand Game?

Go to the "Links" tab up above. Click on "Blackjack Info". You can get Basic Strategy for a variety of rules. Given a set of game rules, there is a specific Basic Strategy.

If your variations from BS "work for you", good for you - you've been lucky so far. You might make a "dumb" move like doubling 17v10 and end up winning, but the odds are against it. The same goes for ANY variation from BS - you might get lucky and end up winning, but your best bet is to adhere to BS.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!