Betting Question
  • Hello.

I'm new to this forum and to blackjack itself.
    I thought up a little betting system that I find works quite well...
    I was hoping the experts on this forum could tell me the problems with it.

The way I play is to always bet enough to reach a target profit in one move. For example if the targetted profit was $10, that's what I'd bet. If I win that hand, I've reached the target however if I lose it I'm down $10 and it would require a $20 bet to reach the target in one hand. If I lose the second hand I would be down $30 and would bet $40 and so forth until I win. The house has the advantage but statistically the player must eventually win and when the player does win they'll be in profit.

Of course this would require a large amount of money just to earn a small profit.

What are the problems with this? Does it work mathematically?

Thank you.

Jonathan.
  • Jonathan- What you have just described is called the Martingale or Grand Martingale. Do NOT play it, it is a sure loser. You will have many "small" wins, only to be wiped out, by a BIG loss.

Midnite
  • Jonathan: One of the biggest problems with this negative progression is the house limit at blackjack tables. In most cases, after 6 or 7 consecutive losses you would not be allowed to place a wager big enough to cover previous losses and insure a one unit win.
    For example, it's common for a $10 blackjack table to have a $500 max bet limit. If you lost 6 consecutive bets(not at all unusual), your next bet would have to be $640, and you would not be allowed to bet this much.
  • How about a two step "non-invested martingale"? How do you like
    those terms? Pick out some magic number, say 4,5,or 6. Let it be
    your lucky number; mine is 4. Flat bet $10 bucks until you lose four
    in a row. Then bet $40.....If you lose, bet $80 and return to your
    original $10 regardless of the outcome. Your change to win the $40
    bet is 47.5 and the $80 bet is also 47.5.

I don't recommend any of this BS, but some flat betters use this or
    some similar concept.

Ray
  • The house has the advantage but statistically the player must eventually win and when the player does win they'll be in profit.

Where did you get that complete and utter NONSENSE?! That's just BOLLOCKS!!!
  • Bug- I think what Jonathan meant was, that the player must eventually win....A Hand.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!