9,9, vs. 3
  • I'm curious. BS tells me to split 9s v. 3, but I find I usually go against that. Does anyone else make the exception to BS in this case?
  • If I have a small bet I will split, if I have a rather large one I will stay. If I remember right, the advantage reduces if you split, but still little more than the house's upcard 3. I try to follow the book but sometimes I'd rather play within my comfort level.
  • Standing with 99v3 is a winner, but splitting is a bigger winner. The call is closer with 99v2.

Be careful with selective memory - you'll remember the one time you lost all bets when doubling after splitting, but forget when you won one hand and pushed the other. 99v3 happens so rarely, it's difficult to get even a small sample.

Try this experiment at home: deal yourself 99v3. Then play out 100 hands by standing, 100 hands by splitting. Record the results and see what you get. Then you can make your decision at the table knowing what you're getting into.
  • Mr. Ed said:
    Standing with 99v3 is a winner, but splitting is a bigger winner.

Aha! I see the advantage here.

No chance of busting with the DAS, and a good chance of beating the three anyway.

Good thinking. My logic was mising on this one. And as you say, it happens pretty rarely.
  • jm - I can't resist this......What happens pretty rarely? 99 vs 3 or your logic was missing? :wink: Grif'
  • Yeah, jm... why do you have the urge to stand on 9/9 vs 3?

If I have a small bet I will split, if I have a rather large one I will stay. If I remember right, the advantage reduces if you split, but still little more than the house's upcard 3. I try to follow the book but sometimes I'd rather play within my comfort level.

Boy do you sound like someone I've told and told and told about Basic Strategy but is toooooooooooooooooooooooooo stubborn to listen and follow my advise backed up by billions and billions of computer simulated hands, designating THE BEST move in any hand situation!

Obviously you're not a flawless BS player. You are a gambler though, so if you want to reduce the HA against you to only about 0.5% you should really stick to strict BS anytime you play. None of this "well, I I lost the last 5 DD's against a 6 so maybe I shouldn't double this time" etc. because I'm tired of hearing that TRASH.
  • JM, I'm not advocating standing with 99v3. You should split to get the bigger EV.
  • Grifter said:
    jm - I can't resist this......What happens pretty rarely? 99 vs 3 or your logic was missing? :wink: Grif'

LOL! Nah, missing logic is probably a more frequent situation.
  • Boy do you sound like someone I've told and told and told about Basic Strategy but is toooooooooooooooooooooooooo stubborn to listen and follow my advise backed up by billions and billions of computer simulated hands, designating THE BEST move in any hand situation!

Obviously you're not a flawless BS player. You are a gambler though, so if you want to reduce the HA against you to only about 0.5% you should really stick to strict BS anytime you play. None of this "well, I I lost the last 5 DD's against a 6 so maybe I shouldn't double this time" etc. because I'm tired of hearing that TRASH.

Calm down man :? Trust me I am not like the "someone" you've told about BS, I know what I am doing. I make the best desicion for my own situation. When the count is high and I have a large bet on the table, and if I am given one hand with multiple splits and double downs, I don't follow the BS because I can easily lose half of my bankroll if not all. Yes I know all the right moves, but you have to play millions of hands to get your expected results. How can you be sure in such a risky situation your 1% advantage over the house will work out like it should? Yes I got burned doing that few times, and the reason I stopped doing that is I can only last 10-20 minutes after that, not because all my right moves don't work. Cards and chips don't know how much I bet, but I do, and I want to stay in the session longer, at least get some comps... :P
  • Seven, I'd suggest that you increase your bankroll or decrease your unit size. You ought to be able to double after a split with your max bet and not have it break your bankroll.

Although I am guilty, too - I don't double 10v10 and I add 1 to all the +4 indices ("to reduce variance"). At least do yourself a favor by looking at an EV table to learn the close calls.
  • Yeah I should be doing that... I usually bring about $200-$300 and play $10 tables. $5 tables are not easy to find and they are always crowded. I know 20x-30x bankroll is not enough but I try to set a limit and it's been working pretty good since.
  • I would also suggest using running counts divided by HALF-DECKS remaining to reduce bet variance. Your win rate will decrease a bit, but your bet variance will slow. You will keep an edge.

N&B

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!