Feeling the pressure
  • I have a question to all the blackjack vets out there. How do you keep your cool at the table when there are so many people at the table playing wrong basic strategy, and they freak out when I do something like hit a A,7 against a 10 or hit a 12 against a 2 or 3. It really gets under my skin when these "experts" start blaming me for their losing. Oddly enough all the other rocket scientists at the table usually chime in that I'm messing up the cards. And god forbid if I'm backcounting and jump in when the true count is favorable. That usually makes people crazy and they ask me to wait until the end of the shoe so I don't mess up the flow. What? Whats worse is when the dealer will jump on the bandwagon and even back up the cards to show what would have happened if I didn't split those 8's against a 10. I'm not one to hold my tongue, but sometimes my mouth can get me in trouble. Is there a calm intelligent way to handle these people, including the dealer. I know alot of you will say ignore them but there's got to be a way to shut them up. Please help a high strung playa.
  • Andee said:
    I have a question to all the blackjack vets out there. How do you keep your cool at the table when there are so many people at the table playing wrong basic strategy, and they freak out when I do something like hit a A,7 against a 10 or hit a 12 against a 2 or 3. It really gets under my skin when these "experts" start blaming me for their losing. Oddly enough all the other rocket scientists at the table usually chime in that I'm messing up the cards. And god forbid if I'm backcounting and jump in when the true count is favorable. That usually makes people crazy and they ask me to wait until the end of the shoe so I don't mess up the flow. What? Whats worse is when the dealer will jump on the bandwagon and even back up the cards to show what would have happened if I didn't split those 8's against a 10. I'm not one to hold my tongue, but sometimes my mouth can get me in trouble. Is there a calm intelligent way to handle these people, including the dealer. I know alot of you will say ignore them but there's got to be a way to shut them up. Please help a high strung playa.

Ignore them and just think to yourself that you are playing a advantage game and they are losers. Then celebrate to yourself when they lose all there money. Or apoligize for messing up the "sacred order" of the cards.
  • Andee said:
    I have a question to all the blackjack vets out there. How do you keep your cool at the table when there are so many people at the table playing wrong basic strategy, and they freak out when I do something like hit a A,7 against a 10 or hit a 12 against a 2 or 3. It really gets under my skin when these "experts" start blaming me for their losing. Oddly enough all the other rocket scientists at the table usually chime in that I'm messing up the cards. And god forbid if I'm backcounting and jump in when the true count is favorable. That usually makes people crazy and they ask me to wait until the end of the shoe so I don't mess up the flow. What? Whats worse is when the dealer will jump on the bandwagon and even back up the cards to show what would have happened if I didn't split those 8's against a 10. I'm not one to hold my tongue, but sometimes my mouth can get me in trouble. Is there a calm intelligent way to handle these people, including the dealer. I know alot of you will say ignore them but there's got to be a way to shut them up. Please help a high strung playa.

Andee don't let it bother you what anyone says. you payed for your betting spot and can do as you please for your money. same with wonging in, if there isn't a no mid-show entry sign then it's ok to do it. but don't be arrogant with your fellow table mates. you can use them as camo by acting impressed by their knowledge and thanking them for their advice. they will love you for it and the pit will think your stupid, which is exactly what you want them to think. as far as wonging in try and charm your way in but if the table goes ballistic it may be better to back your self off than having the pit do it.
    best regards,
    sagefr0g
  • Sage is right. You're paying for your spot. As I've said before my favorite answer is "There's plenty of tables I'm not playing at".
  • Split a pair of tens.
    Double down for less on a 13 or 14
    Stay on a hard 8.
    That should send the heathens running for the next open table and give you plenty of room to operate.
  • Andee said:

Vicodin, calms the temper but keeps your head clear.On a more practical note you just have to ignore the aimless ploppys. There self destruction will come soon enough.;)
  • My favorite is..."Give me some of your chips and I'll play the way you want"
  • Andee, the fact that you've received plenty of advice on this question tells us that every successful player regularly experiences this situation.. I myself have had bad player's maneuvers sometimes make me money and other times cost me. I tend to agree with sagefr0g; “don't be arrogant with your fellow table mates. you can use them as camo by acting impressed by their knowledge and thanking them for their advice. they will love you for it and the pit will think your stupid, which is exactly what you want them to think” Hey, it works for me.

Emperor Ming, I like your quote but I would hesitate to use it.
  • Emperor Ming said:
    My favorite is..."Give me some of your chips and I'll play the way you want"

That's great. I'm using that one next time.
  • I myself am a newbie but take the game very serious and am learning the ropes through FR`s book.
    I totally agree that the ignorance out there is staggering from those professing to being winning "KNOWLEDGABLE" players.
    I continuously am amazed

jim

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!