Two books all 21 players must read to become winning or even money players!!!
  • The two books that all 21 players should read are Beat the Dealer and Blackjack as a business. In beat the dealer it explains the count when you should take insurance. In Blackjack as a business there is this great chart that tells you how much you gain or lose by making certain plays!!! I found it really helpful to know that when you hit a 16 vs a 7 you gain 11% on average but against a ten you only gain 3%. Hiting 16 against an ace gains 15%!!! Meaning you will win 15 more bets in a hundred when you hit hard 16 against an ace!!!
  • Definitely the Top of my List...

    BLACKJACK BLUEBOOK II by Fred Renzey (over 200 pages)...

    BLACKJACK ATTACK III by Don Schlesinger (over 500 pages)...
  • Learningtocount: good recommendations are always appreciated -- thanks. I'd certainly add Renzey's book to your list.

    A few followup comments to what you've presented:

    If I'm not mistaken, 16 vs 10 is pretty nearly dead even on hitting vs. standing. And if I'm reading wizardofodds correctly, the 16 vs 7 situation shows different numbers from what you've presented.

    For the benefit of newer players, wondering if one of our more experienced players could double-check this and perhaps present the explanation of what the numbers mean in a little different way. Just feels like there's a bit too much "winning" and "gaining" going on here in these 3 losing scenarios. There may be a different way to explain it.

    Thanks!
  • According to both Renzey & Schlesinger,
    the Mathematically Correct Play is to SURRENDER 16 vs. 10.
  • Expected Values for 16 vs 10:

    Stand: -0.58
    Hit: -0.54
    Surrender: -0.50

    You save about 4 cents per dollar bet when you hit rather than stand, and save an additional 4 cents/dollar when you surrender rather than hit. A mistake here won't cost much in the short run, but in the long run it is a leak that will certainly affect a player's profits--as much as hundreds of dollars depending on the amount of money invested on the game.
  • Some non tech terms-In 16 vs 10 you have about one change in 4 hit or stand..lose 73-75% of the time. 16 vs A or 9 come in a very close second and third.

    With the exception of 21, 20 vs 8 has the best odds (8:1).
  • Revere's EV chart, as pretty as it is was published in 1973 and is for single deck. With 6 decks, the difference between hitting and standing with 16 vs 10 is a half percent (-.535 vs -.540). The other hands are similarly affected.

    Still, I love Revere's book with all it's vastly informative colored charts, generated by Julian Braun -- a legendary giant in the blackjack analysis movement.
  • I was telling you the numbers for single deck! When you will win a 11 more bets in a 100 when you hit a hard 16 vs a 7. The dealer will only break 24% of the time when he has a 7 up think about a 16 tens and 4 aces and he will stay. But if he has to hit and has a 2,3,or 4 under the 7 he has a free hit or a hit where he can not bust. The reason why hitting against a ten does not give you as much as an advantage as hitting against a seven is it is very possible that the dealer has 20 and you will only gain with a 4 or 5 or they are likely to have a bad hand if they're hiding a 2,3,4,5,or6 under there card where the next card can bust him!!!
  • Here's an Excellent Free Website : http://www.bjmath.com/bjmath/toc.htm
  • The part where they tell you what you gain over what you lose by standing did you now that hitting a hard 16 vs an ace gives you a 15% better shot at winning the hand? Or hitting hard 16 against a seven gives you an 11% better chance at winning!!!
  • No, didn't know that, but BS says to hit them and that is good enough for me :D
  • only imoves your chance of winning by 3% and if there is a positive enough count it could decrease you chance of winning? But hiting 16 vs 7,8,9,and ace is always the right play!!!
  • learningtocount said:
    only imoves your chance of winning by 3% and if there is a positive enough count it could decrease you chance of winning? But hiting 16 vs 7,8,9,and ace is always the right play!!!


    Everything depends upon the count, but the right play in basic strategy is to surrender your 16 vs 9,10 and ace if it available, otherwise you are right.

    ihate17
  • I live in the lake tahoe area have about 9 player cards and have never seen surrender offered. The best rules are at boomtown where you can double any two cards on a single deck game!! I think ironically even though the very best players would gain an advantage with surrender I think that the casinos would make more money offering it because I believe that it would be so missed played. I think 16 vs. an ace with early surrender is the only profitable surrender!
  • learningtocount said:
    I live in the lake tahoe area have about 9 player cards and have never seen surrender offered. The best rules are at boomtown where you can double any two cards on a single deck game!! I think ironically even though the very best players would gain an advantage with surrender I think that the casinos would make more money offering it because I believe that it would be so missed played. I think 16 vs. an ace with early surrender is the only profitable surrender!


    Alamo has late surrender and also 6-card charlie. I was the only one that used surrender. No one else knew what it was... There are a decent amount of places that deal out SD double any two cards in Reno/Sparks area except if you are black chip player.
  • I'm a red chip player my self but if I where to play black I would sit at a red table any way. Yes a lot of places you can double any two cards but they are usually double deck or more not single deck!!! Single deck is the only game that I have the attention span to win at!!! If anything they should offer the better rules to blackchip players because they lose the most money in the casino!!!
  • learningtocount said:
    I'm a red chip player my self but if I where to play black I would sit at a red table any way. Yes a lot of places you can double any two cards but they are usually double deck or more not single deck!!! Single deck is the only game that I have the attention span to win at!!! If anything they should offer the better rules to blackchip players because they lose the most money in the casino!!!



    I was talking about SD not DD. My last trip everyplace I played at you could double any two cards SD. Reason I said except blackchip players the places don't have a high Max Bet. For example Max bet at Alamo is $100 the places with the best games have low Max bets usually. Playing black at a red chip table you better have some good camo because if you do that all eyes will be on you even before they suspect you are CC.
  • In order for a surrender to be correct just to break even you would have to lose 75% of the time or more!!! You would not surrender your 16 if it came in the form of two 8's but you might surrender your 16 if it was in the form of 10-6!!!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!