Blackjack rules
  • I just spent the weekend in South lake Tahoe and had my first real success with card counting.( I Think ) I settled on a double deck game of blackjack but got a little bit confused when i tried to calculate my players disadvatage. I had the blue Book with me but could not find how much of an edge i lost only being able to double down on 9,10, or 11. This is a rule I am seeing often in single and double deck games. Did i just get lucky beating this game and shoud i avoid it in the future or am i not losing that much of an edge?
  • Chrono -- On pg 82 of the Bluebook under Rule Variations, it says "No Soft Doubling" costs you 0.11%. If you can double on 9, 10 & 11 only, then soft hands are the only doubles you cannot make (where basic strategy is concerned). In these games, you usually are allowed to double on A/8 by calling it "9". However, since it is "9", if you catch a deuce, you're stuck with "11".
  • Based on Atlantic City rules, have you or anyone else ever calculated the average number of cards a player gets per hand? If this calculation is possible, how does it vary in a 1, 2, 4, 6 or 8 deck game? Does it vary with the number of players at the table? How many cards would the dealer get given the same conditions?
    Thanks for your time.
  • Most used number is 2.7 cards per hand, same for dealer. With 4 plus dealer it should amount to 13.5 cards per round X 8 = 108 cards or close to two decks +/- about 2-4 cards most of the time. There are exceptions, but it gets close after hundreds of hands/rounds. 2.6 cards comes up a little low in my experience.

Test: Deal 4 hands plus self, play perfect basic strategy and dealer rules. After 8 rounds, count the cards.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!