getting the true count
  • Hi, new counter here.

How do you obtain the true count?
    Say in the first hand of a 4 deck game the dealer comes out with eight cards and the running count is +4. The true count will be +1, because it's +4 divided 4. But in the second hand do you start the count with the running count of +4 or with the true count of +1? I thought you would continue with with running count until I read a book which calculated the true count by dividing the #half decks remaining.

It said:

Running count is +5, ten cards have been played out, with 8 half-decks in a 4deck game we divide +5 by 7 which equals a total of less than 1. You keep playing as if the deck were neutral, since the true count is less than +1, even though the running count is positive.

So do you continue on with the running count after the first round of play if you divide by full decks, and with the true count if you divide by half decks?
  • on the second hand, you would continue to track the shoe with the rc

youre getting the tc and the true edge mixed up (no fault on your part), ill try to explain

to find the true count, take the rc and divide that by the number of decks remaining to be played. the "true edge" method of obtaing the count would be to divide the rc by the number of 1/2 decks remaining. this, if done correctly,will give you an approximation of the edge you currently have, or dont have over the house. for every number the true count goes up, your edge goes up by about .5%. and of course when the tc goes down, so does your edge. but if you use the true edge method you must take into account the % that the house already has before a single card is dealt.

6 deck shoe - rc is 8 with 2 decks remaining, tc = 4 (8 divided by 2)
    same situation, your true edge would be 1.5% (8 divided by the # of 1/2 decks remaining, which is 4, that equals 2, minus the .5 house advantage the house already has to begin with)

please someone correct me if im wrong

and where is this from?

"It said:

Running count is +5, ten cards have been played out, with 8 half-decks in a 4deck game we divide +5 by 7 which equals a total of less than 1 (this is refering to the true edge, the tc would be a little above 1). You keep playing as if the deck were neutral, since the true count (true edge) is less than +1, even though the running count is positive."

I believe Snyder coined the true edge method, and I dont remember the above text in BB in BJ or in his online forum article. and why would you divide by 7? only 10 cards have been played, a half deck of cards is 26, its more like 7.5. your true edge in this situation is just above 0, so i guess it is neutral. (true edge in this situation is 5 divided by 7.5 minus the house edge) somewhere around a +.15%, nothing to get excited about.

i hope this is clear, i have trouble explaining things from scratch, if you read Snyder's book, blackbelt in blackjack, you will probably gain a better understanding

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!