Is BlackJack profitable?
  • stainless steel rat said:
    Here's what I get. Rules as above, 60 rounds per hour. KO preferred system with the playing indices as defined by Fuchs, etc... $25.00 unit, spreading $25-$125 (1-5). Hourly win rate is $9, average bet is $40. Pretty much sucks when you factor in the variance.

I risk $40 * 60 or $2400 bucks in an hour, to make $9. EV appears to be 0.375% if I didn't mangle the math. I don't think I mangled the sim, which was run for two billion rounds...

I thought the EV could be stated in how much you would win per $1000 bet. In that case, $37.50 does not = $9 obviously. The 0.375 sounds more reasonable than .009 though.

Thanks for looking into this, I appreciate it.
  • Knox said:
    I thought the EV could be stated in how much you would win per $1000 bet. In that case, $37.50 does not = $9 obviously. The 0.375 sounds more reasonable than .009 though.

Thanks for looking into this, I appreciate it.

EV can be stated in many ways. But it is the same thing. Your expected value is what you expect to win (or lose) on a given bet. You can apply it to a single hand, or to an hour's worth of hands. Or to a specific amount. $1000 is a convenient number due to just shifting the decimal point... But be _sure_ to watch that decimal point.

.375% -> .00375 as a pure decimal, and multiply by 1000 and you get $3.75, not $37.50. :) Which when multiplied by 2400 comes up to that $9 per hour assuming $2400 per hour is bet...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!