Another bug?-hitting on soft 18 after being dealt card
  • I had an A, 5 vs. a dealer up of 3. I hit and got a 2 for a soft 18. I hit, Stand and the game prompted me saying:

"When you have a soft 18, hit unless the dealer shows a 2, 7 or 8. Double if 3-6."

Was I really supposed to hit a soft 18 vs. a dealer up of 3? Obviously, my double down option went away since I had already hit once.
  • No, guest... your proper was to DOUBLEDOWN in the first place. You need to read the BS charts because those are simple moves.
  • No, YOU need to read the BS charts because you are very confused. You don't double down on A, 5 vs. 3. You double down on A, 5 vs. 4-6. Don't tell other people what to do when you yourself are clueless.

http://www.blackjack-school.com/indexa.shtml
  • You played the hand correctly, the multi-card/soft-18 play has a bug in the game software.

You would only want to keep hitting your soft-18 if the dealer showed 9, 10, or Ace.
  • I also got this error message in the exact same situation.

Who lets you DOUBLE DOWN on the third card?

Who recommends a double on this hand with the first two cards?

I also think there is a bug.

With all due respect.
  • Dissipate said:
    Was I really supposed to hit a soft 18 vs. a dealer up of 3? Obviously, my double down option went away since I had already hit once.

Soft 18:
    A,7 vs. 2, 7, 8 = Stand
    A,7 vs. 3, 4, 5, 6 = Double
    A,7 vs. 9, 10, A = Hit

Since you can't Double after the 3rd card Hitting would be best.
    However, I doubt the odds of either option are significant.
    This is not a bug!
  • Guest, I agree with with what you added except for the 3+ card comment. I have always played a THREE card soft 18 v. 3-6 as stand (TWO card soft 18 v. 3-6 as double). A Three card soft 17 v. 3-6 as HIT. I would appreciate input (from those I trust...Grifter, MIdnite)
  • D - You are playing it correctly - Grifter
  • ty Grifter. Would you come and play at my table next time and tell the big, bad guys that this mere woman is playing correctly?
  • I agree with Dissipate. There is a definite bug in this program with the handling of soft hands on the third card. I agree with Grifter, D, and GH21. For the guest who posted the difference in odds are insignificant, I would be off to wizardofodds.com? Given the odds of the game, I would take every edge? It would be nice if this program were free of bugs, tho.

With all due respect.
  • IN THIS BOOK -THE WORLDS GREATEST BLACKJACK BOOK- , IT SHOWS TO DOUBLE A,4 AND A,5 vs. DEALER 4 THROUGH 6 .STAND ON A,8 OR MORE. DOUBLE A,6 AND A,7 vs. DEALER 3 THROUGH 6. DOUBLE A,2 AND A,3 vs. DEALER 5 AND 6. THE BOOK FEATURES THE Hi-Opt I SYSTEM.
  • Someone made a comment earlier about doubling on the third card...you can't do it in regular blackjack, but you can double at any time in Spanish 21...
  • There is a bug in the software. I had a multi-card soft 18 vs 4. Standing (undoubtedly the correct play), gave me an error message.
  • No, no, no.

The only person who seems to be correct about this topic is "Guest."

The proper way to play a two-card soft 18 against a 3 is to double. We all agree with that, correct?

If you can't double (because your soft 18 consists of three cards, or maybe because the rules don't allow soft doubling) then at least hit it. Don't stand.

A soft 18 against a dealer upcard of a 3 is such an advantageous situation, that you want to get as much money on the table as possible. It is so advantageous for you, that doubling, and taking just ONE more card, is the correct play. But if you can't double, then at least do the next best thing and STILL take another card.

Put it another way... if taking another card and doubling your bet is best, surely taking another card (but not doubling) can't be wrong! What's important here is to take another card.

In a multi-deck game (and probably even a single deck game) it is insignificant if your soft 18 consists of two or three cards. You must still hit it. Yes, double if you can, triple if you can, heck, quadruple if they will allow it... but you must hit it nontheless.
  • BlackJack_Ed said:
    The proper way to play a two-card soft 18 against a 3 is to double. We all agree with that, correct?

If you can't double (because your soft 18 consists of three cards, or maybe because the rules don't allow soft doubling) then at least hit it. Don't stand.

A soft 18 against a dealer upcard of a 3 is such an advantageous situation, that you want to get as much money on the table as possible. It is so advantageous for you, that doubling, and taking just ONE more card, is the correct play. But if you can't double, then at least do the next best thing and STILL take another card.

Put it another way... if taking another card and doubling your bet is best, surely taking another card (but not doubling) can't be wrong! What's important here is to take another card.

In a multi-deck game (and probably even a single deck game) it is insignificant if your soft 18 consists of two or three cards. You must still hit it. Yes, double if you can, triple if you can, heck, quadruple if they will allow it... but you must hit it nontheless.

BlackJack Ed, that logic is wrong and completely flawed, and you need to stop posting it in every single thread! ;)

There are several situations in which you double if you can but otherwise stand. Just because doubling is preferable doesn't automatically mean you should hit if you can't double.

If you have A,7 and the dealer is showing 2-6, you should double, but if you can't double (i.e.: A,2,5 or A,3,4), you should stand.

In addition, if you have A,8 and the dealer is showing 6, you should double, but if you can't double, you should stand.

The reason your logic is flawed is because you're missing the concept of doubling. For instance, let's say your odds of winning a hand are 75% if you stand or 70% if you hit. Obviously, if you can only play one hand, you want to stand. But, if you have the option to double, even though it lowers your odds of winning, your odds are still closer to that 75% than they are to even, so you'll make more money by doubling (and getting twice as much money into those still-great odds) than by standing.

--DanG

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!