Bankroll disadvantage question?
  • If you bet so much money on one hand and do not have the bankroll to double or split how much of a disadvantage will you be at? How about if you only had the bankroll to double or split only once? You could get 3 times your bet out there? How about if you didn't have the bankroll to continue playing through a really positive shoe? On the Mit Blackjack team there was a situation where there where betting big with a positive count hit a down streak and had to leave a positive shoe before it got reshulfed. I wonder how much money this cost the team.
  • Recently, a new counter had questions about his bet spread and stated that he was uncomfortable putting a max bet out on the table. Let's say his max bet was $100. He was playing a shoe game with DAS
    So my advice to him was to play lower stakes till he was comfortable putting much more than $100 on the table on occassion. If your max bet is $100, it is possible to get a hand where you split to 4 hands and have a double on each, so you are putting $800 on that table. This, of course, is rare but I have had 7 max bets on the table and all of us have had many times where we have 4. My advice to that guy fearing $100 was to keep his max lower till he could put $400 on the table and avoid a heart attack. Find a $5-$50 game or save up a bigger bankroll.

ihate17
  • You're not suppose to lose 5-6 big bets in a row, but you do and you need a positive count to justify your bad luck. How much does it cost when you can't play on in a postive count? Nothing because you could easily lose 5-6 more. You can never make a definitive statement about the unknown.
  • learningtocount said:
    If you bet so much money on one hand and do not have the bankroll to double or split how much of a disadvantage will you be at? How about if you only had the bankroll to double or split only once? You could get 3 times your bet out there? How about if you didn't have the bankroll to continue playing through a really positive shoe? On the Mit Blackjack team there was a situation where there where betting big with a positive count hit a down streak and had to leave a positive shoe before it got reshulfed. I wonder how much money this cost the team.

You can answer your question with CVCX/CVData. Just run a big sim with _no_ doubling allowed and compare that to a sim with normal doubling rules. You will see the effect on your EV, which will apply to one hand just as well as it applies to 2 billion rounds. You can do the same for not splitting...
  • In tournaments when you play you will not always have the bank roll to double or split. That is why I was asking the question how much does it cost to do this? If you are playing blackjack for cash than you should have the bankroll to get a minimum of 4 times your bet on the table.
  • learningtocount said:
    In tournaments when you play you will not always have the bank roll to double or split. That is why I was asking the question how much does it cost to do this? If you are playing blackjack for cash than you should have the bankroll to get a minimum of 4 times your bet on the table.

For tournaments, it really doesn't matter. That kind of play is completely different from walking up, sitting down, and buying in. Tournament play sees the unusual become more common, such as doubling A-10 vs anything just to get more money on the table, or splitting when B/S says to not split, etc. So the rules are pretty meaningless in that setting, money management is the name of the game.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!