Even Money?
  • MI Dave... at least you see the quandry you're in. And I agree with your assessment. Once you accept risk, in favor of stats, you have to manage risk to be successful. I would say that cutting one's losses in a a bad situation cuts risk. Since you should bet 1x all the time, betting 4x and having 88vs.X still means you lose 2x by surrender, which is still double the risk you should take. If you play the stats, you wager 8x in hopes of losing 2x. Surrendering the 4x is certain, you lose 2x every time.... splitting is uncertain... you could win or lose both or win 1 lose 1 for the additional risk of 4x.

N&B
  • Well, here goes. I know that there are many differnt opinions on this one. I know there are views to support this depending on a lot of variables. So my take on this matter is this: This is how I play the hand.

I NEVER take insurance if the dealer has an Ace and I do not have a blackjack.

I ALWAYS take Even money or Insure MY blackjack when I have the chance and have a blackjack.

The reasonign for this is simple. I place my hand out to get a win...not a blackjack. In my progression, it is the cumulative wins that make it possible to take advantage of each situation. So in the case of the Even Money scenario, I will always take the even money and move up in the progression. I know that there will be some that dis-agree with that call, but I have been very successful.

HS21
  • highstakes21 said:
    I ALWAYS take Even money or Insure MY blackjack when I have the chance and have a blackjack.

The reasonign for this is simple. I place my hand out to get a win...not a blackjack. In my progression, it is the cumulative wins that make it possible to take advantage of each situation. So in the case of the Even Money scenario, I will always take the even money and move up in the progression. I know that there will be some that dis-agree with that call, but I have been very successful.

HS21

Hi HS21,
    How about when you get an A8 or A9 vs. ACE, and you are deep into the progression..., Do you insure?
  • I haven't taken the time to read every post in this thread but I will say this: If you're not counting, NEVER TAKE INSURANCE!!! It's a sucker's bet, no matter what you're hand is. Why would you want to go against the odds just so you could bet more on the next hand? The only way one hand affects the next is that if you got a blackjack, two more high cards are gone.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!