Expertise needed...
  • Hello,

I consider myself an intermediate player, but i've been practicing and reading quite a bit. I have a few questions that i need a senior member to answer. Here they go:

1) Is there an exact strategy(not opinions) to study and follow based on either the running or true counts? Whether it be positive or negative count? I'll explain some examples if need be...

2) i use hi/lo to count. I sit at the last seat and dont look at anyones cards until play begins(to be less conspicuous). i add the total hand to the running count rather than adding each card as it is dealt. Is this a bad way to count?

3) How do you feel about single deck games(6/5) if you have an accurate count?

4) Does playing two hands help you more if you are counting, just playing bs, or neither? I've heard a few different things...

Thanks for any input...

Jimmy C.

"I'll betcha"
  • jimmyc122001 said:
    Hello,

I consider myself an intermediate player, but i've been practicing and reading quite a bit. I have a few questions that i need a senior member to answer. Here they go:

1) Is there an exact strategy(not opinions) to study and follow based on either the running or true counts? Whether it be positive or negative count? I'll explain some examples if need be...

Since you mentioned Hi-Lo, get Professional BlackJack by Stanford Wong. It is the "hilo bible". yes there is a precise strategy for both playing your hands and placing your bets. The strategies vary depending on the rules of the game, the number of decks, number of decks actually dealt, etc.

2) i use hi/lo to count. I sit at the last seat and dont look at anyones cards until play begins(to be less conspicuous). i add the total hand to the running count rather than adding each card as it is dealt. Is this a bad way to count?

There are two points. (1) accuracy; (2) secrecy. You want to be sure that however you count, you are very accurate. At the same time, you don't want to be noticed. Personally, I only count the other player's cards as the second card is dealt, since (a) everyone watches this, and (b) cancellation makes counting easier (2+10 = 0 so the RC is unchanged). Do what looks natural without giving up on perfect accuracy and you will be fine. You do need to have all cards counted before you play your hand for best playing decision accuracy of course.

3) How do you feel about single deck games(6/5) if you have an accurate count?

Stay away from them. The reduced snapper payoff hurts badly. It takes a wild spread to beat the game. It is better to find a quality DD or shoe game instead.

4) Does playing two hands help you more if you are counting, just playing bs, or neither? I've heard a few different things...

Depends on the situation. Playing by yourself? I would just play one hand normally, unless it somehow helps penetration. For example, in a SD game using rule-of-6 to shuffle (number of players + number of rounds = number of rounds played before the shuffle occurs) playing 2 hands makes the game a better game because it increases the penetration some, which is always good for a counter. Playing with multiple players, 2 hands are good in + counts since you have twice the chance of getting the good cards in a + count. 2 hands in - counts are bad for the same reason. If you can do so without drawing unwanted attention, playing 1 hand at a nearly full table is better, if you can spread to 2 or 3 hands when the count rises. But many games don't allow this...

Thanks for any input...

Jimmy C.

"I'll betcha"
  • thanks,

Ive read a couple books, and i have seen that book whil e i was browsing through others. Ive already ordered it. sweet!!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!