A question about betting rules
  • New to vegas and beginning Blackjack player here. I was wondering if there are any rules against doubling your bet after a losing hand.

Here is what I mean.

Bet $10, lose
    Bet $20, lose (lost $30 total)
    Bet $40, lose (lost $70) total)
    Bet $80, win (now up $10)

I've been playing alot of video blackjack and in the end I've won some money everytime.

Is this prohibited?

The only thing I can think of besides it being illegal, is that if you lose a bunch of hands in a row and the limit wont allow me to double my bet.

Sorry if this is a dumb question. But like I said I'm a newbie and figured this would be a better place to ask the question.
  • You can do this up to the table limit. The problem is simply the martingale progression you describe will mathematically give you many very small winning sessions with a guarantee of an occassional disasterious session that will always wipe out your wins plus a bunch.
    Simply put, in 20 hours of blackjack play you should statistically have one losing streak of at least 10 hands. Though rare, I have had at least 4 streaks of over 20 straight losing hands and probably hundreds of streaks in the teens in 30 years of play. So figure your system and see how much you would have to bet on your 15th hand after losing 14 straight, just to win a measly $10 over the progression. Of course you would be broke already so do not worry about it.

Finally, give your mind a rest. There is no progression system that will overcome the house advantage over time. Either learn advantage play or be content with losing.

ihate17

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!