BS variations?
  • I've got BS down, and can manage counting Hi-Lo pretty well. Now, I'm trying to work on BS variations, and I have some questions:

1. Do most experts agree that BS+counting+money management is sufficient for a positive edge against the house, and that adding BS variations just increases a player's edge, or are BS variations absolutely necessary when counting?

2. What BS variations do you guys use (if any)? I'm working on those listed in lessons 14-16 at GameMaster's Blackjack School. I've found the rest of the lessons to be pretty well-written, and figure these variations must be at least as accurate as the rest of the information, which seems good.

ricardoest
  • ricardoest- Every little bit helps. I would suggest you take it in steps
    for the B/S variations. Start out with basic strategy and the mag7
    variations. When you get that down, proceed to I18 which are the
    most used in all count systems because you see these hands more
    often. To win money in blackjack you need to get your share of
    blackjacks and doubles. The above variations contains some doubles
    that you can't play with just B/S. H/L typically has about 40-45 variations
    and you can add more of those later if you choose.

B/S variations are pretty much the same for all count system. It's just
    that some system are more accurate than others and the number of
    variations differ. Sometimes the numbers are different, but they mean
    the samething in terms of count strength.

Ray
  • 1. Do most experts agree that BS+counting+money management is sufficient for a positive edge against the house

Yes, its sufficient.

and that adding BS variations just increases a player's edge, or are BS variations absolutely necessary when counting?

Not necessary but nice to have.

2. What BS variations do you guys use (if any)?

The I18 and Fab 4 surrenders are your best options and then you can expand from there. You can start with 16 vs dealer 10 and the deviations on positive counts (since this is when you'll have more $$$ on the table) and don't bother with plays like 12 vs 4 or 13 vs 2 on negative counts.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!