Walter's progression wins huge
  • i have been counting for about 2 years... winning consistently but modestly. recently, i decided the effort required outweighed the benefit and have been searching for a less involved count system so i could play and have fun as well as win a few bucks. Lately I have been asking around about simple counting strategies like ace-five. (i think all potential counters out there should consider the concession of the social aspect as an economic factor)

anyway, a ploppy friend of mine asked me to go play some BJ last night... and not having learned the betting strategies for any simple counting stratgeies yet, i decided to employ my usual measures: basic shuffle tracking, and casual counting... but having read a few posts about Walter Thomason's seemingly odds-defying longevity, i decided to give his strategy a whirl, and taught it to my friend in teh car on the way. all i know of the progression is what i've read in here: 10-15-20-25 and quit the table after four straight losses, thats it.

getting no to the shocker: 300 dollars, i started playing teh progression, 5- 7.50- 10- 12.50... after 100 dollars profit i moved up to 10-15-20-25, just kept rainsing teh profit and the wager... ended the night 100-150-200-250

GRAND TOTAL: $3,500 me
    $400 pal

admittedly, i was getting good cards. but i will try this again this weekend. it took me almost a year to build my bankroll to that level playing K-O. im going to use $15 of that money and pick up WT's book.

so, as for now... consider me potentially converted. i will keep you posted. just think its nice to hear motivational stories now and again.
  • Drew...CONGRATULATIONS!!

BJ can be a streaky game and Walter's Progression rewards Streaks very well......

If you want to take this one step farther........Combine Walter's Progression with the very simple A/10 Front count (using a 2 & a 4 Deck Checkpoint). By
    increasing the overall progression with Positive shoes at the checkPoints, you have a great opportunity to play a very strong game.....
  • Drew, after 10-15-20-25 do you go back to the 10 after winning four in a row, then repeat? At what point did you increase to 100? My problem has been the winning three or four hands in a row to get any kind of progression moving.
  • PJ, walters progression says to stay at 25 until you lose a hand.

and winning three or four hands in a row is profitable in his progression.
    you really dont need to win 8 or 10 hands in a row. but of course, it would be nice.
  • Nice job Drew, It's those kinds of trips that make this such a fun game.. way to go!
  • Drew

Let us know how you do next time. It limits your losses when unlucky and lets your wins mount up when things go right.

Charles
  • PJ:
    I once you hit 25, you keep playing that until you lose, then start over. sometimes you dont hit 4 wins in a row all night, you are correct. if that is the case you will steadily lose 10 dollars at a time, and you will probably lose your money faster than if you were float betting because teh amount of your average wager would go up. but if you do hit, it pays off. after my winnings increased, i increased my wager- thats how i got to 100, its not dollar amount that matters its the ratio of units. the progression is actually 1- 1.5- 2- 2.5.. so you could do it at a dollar table if you were so inclined. so, when i had more bankroll, i decided to up the stakes- instead of my initial wager being 10, made it 20 , then 50, then 100.

Wildbill:

could you explain the ace/ten frontcount method you describe... like i said before i have been using K-O, but am looking for something a little less involved. it sounds like your suggested method could be the middle ground im looking for
  • NICE wheelbarrow win! ~<(:o) [party on!]<br />
    Enjoy the winnings!

N&B
  • drew: Sounds like you had one of those "super sessions" that we all dream about.... seems like you just can't lose!! I've had 5 or 6 sessions like this in the last five years. On the other hand, I just returned from Tunica where I suffered the worst three-day loss of my gambling career... seemed like I couldn't win two hands in a row.
    Cherish the hot sessions, and be ready for the cold ones...
  • Been playing about a year, no counting, pretty solid basic strategy. Use a similar betting system. Usually $10, $15, $20 etc. I do not stop increasing until I lose. Two trips to Vegas, two to Biloxi and many on the boat. Have had pretty good luck. Four larger wins averaging about $1,500. I also increase the starting amount when hot. The betting system limits loses when cold and allows profits when hot.
  • walter,

i am curious as to why your progression stops at 2.5?

i have read your book, but i dont recall you saying why not to keep raising the bet.

just wondering the philosophy.

my guess, is to not be so greedy to lose more of what you have already won. becuase winning that many hands in a row is going to end somewhere. so basically not to push your luck too far. ???
  • Walter,

It was nice meeting and talking to you and Henry in Tunica. I`m sorry the tables were not more kind to you there. May I ask ,where you played while you were in Tunica?

Dylanfreak
  • bill: I like my 4-step system because you can reach your max bet frequently, which leads to "mini-success" quite often... I think it's better than waiting all night for a monster run of winning bets. Also, with a nonending bet progression you always end up losing the last bet in the sequence, and if this hand contains a split and double-downs, the one-hand loss can wipe out previous gains.
    Simply stated, this system fits my "comfort zone".
  • Dylanfreak: I spent most of my time at Gold Strike, in order to get full comps (amounted to $440 in "freebies"). Total of 22 hours of play, average bet about $70, broken into about a dozen sessions. Lost in every session but one, which was a $70 gain over buy-in. It was terrible! The "dealer hits soft 17" rule bit me in the butt every time, and I seemed to lose most of my big splits and double-downs. Played a few rounds of craps and never made a point. Just one of those weekends...
  • WT,
    Sorry to hear of your cold spell, but I thought I was the only one feeling that cold breeze lately, It's not so lonely anymore.
    Mike
  • ok played twice this weekend, both games on boats, 6 deck, das, stand on soft 17, double any two cards.

friday- won about 150 bucks playing 10 a hand. was frustrated for a while because i would get up then fall back down, but won out overall. low point was -100

saturday- won again- $300 and some change, 10 a hand again. would have doen better but i bet 50 bucks on my last 3 or 4 hands.

i also tried out using ace-five and raising the starting bet for the progression when the count went up. i did this for about an hour- i didnt notice any real effect, but i never hit a very high count either... it seems that this might be a very effective way to play in the long run.

being a card-counter i realize the mathmatical implications of the progression. so the real basis of WT's progression is that streaks occur more often than they should because of real world conditions, like imperfect shuffling. so having said that, my question for walter is whether he finds it more beneficial to play against a live dealer as opposed to a ASM?

well, i think i will continue to play like this and maybe will keep trying the ace-five method in conjunction. will let you all know how it goes.
  • Yes I agree... Thomason progression can be pretty good, however, the last time I went I could hardly go to the 5x bet and through several shoes I really wasn't going anywhere and I was just about ready to bet BIG several times!! I know one shouldn't do this, but any of you other guys have this feeling after about 10 shoes you're not going anywhere??? It's pretty messed up, because I play Perfect BS all the time and I am not rewarded very much. :(

Walter, what do you feel about him raising his starting bet from 5 to 10 to 20 to 50 to 100?? Sounds like a good idea, but when EXACTLY should one do that? For instance, in my case I bring $500 and play at a $10 table min. with your strategy. How much would I need to win to raise up my starting bet???

Also, drew, what was your STARTING bankroll before you ended up winning $3500?

BTW, the 4-loss quit point... are we just supposed to QUIT for that shoe and start playing again at the next shoe or what? I wouldn't understand if we're supposed to LEAVE THE TABLE the moment you lose 4 straight because a new shoe would eliminate the bad streak as well, right??? Or am I wrong?
  • Man, you people sure are PICKY on your replying... I make one post this morning and check back at night and NO ONE has said a thing since!!! :twisted: :twisted:

COME ON PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
  • drew: I prefer the hand-shuffled game.
    Bug: Your questions have already been answered. Several times. In detail. Buy the book and read it. Cheers!!
  • BuGhOu§eMASTER said:
    Yes I agree... Thomason progression can be pretty good, however, the last time I went I could hardly go to the 5x bet and through several shoes I really wasn't going anywhere and I was just about ready to bet BIG several times!! I know one shouldn't do this, but any of you other guys have this feeling after about 10 shoes you're not going anywhere??? It's pretty messed up, because I play Perfect BS all the time and I am not rewarded very much. :(

Walter, what do you feel about him raising his starting bet from 5 to 10 to 20 to 50 to 100?? Sounds like a good idea, but when EXACTLY should one do that? For instance, in my case I bring $500 and play at a $10 table min. with your strategy. How much would I need to win to raise up my starting bet???

Also, drew, what was your STARTING bankroll before you ended up winning $3500?

BTW, the 4-loss quit point... are we just supposed to QUIT for that shoe and start playing again at the next shoe or what? I wouldn't understand if we're supposed to LEAVE THE TABLE the moment you lose 4 straight because a new shoe would eliminate the bad streak as well, right??? Or am I wrong?

I was referring to this post... many questions if not all were not answered from that and if you & drew could kindly answer them I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
  • Bug: Raising the initial bet is a personal choice, depending on your goals. A conservative player may choose to never increase the initial bet. I'm aggressive, and often raise my initial bet if I have doubled my table buy-in... for instance, if I'm playing a $10-25 progression and have increased my $300 buy-in to $600 I would increase my initial bet to $20 and play a $20 to $50 progression. If I lose back HALF of my $300 profit, I DECREASE back to the $10 level.
    If you're playing the 4-loss Quit Point, change tables or quit until the end of a shoe after losing money on 4 consecutive hands.
    Hope this answers your questions.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!