Great Book & A Question
  • Hello,

Yesterday was a cold, wintry, lazy, Sunday here in Colorado. Just perfect for a day full of Blackjack!

While surfing the web, I came across this site and saw the posts on the "Twenty-first Century" blackjack book by our friend Walter Thomason. Of course I ran to my local Barnes and Noble and got myself a copy. Read it over the next few hours and found it very interesting and hopefully (to be proven next week) very profitable. Walter, thank you very much for the easy to read and "makes a lot of sense" book!

I do have a couple questions. . . While practicing (blackjack :wink: ) with my wife last night, I noticed that a lot of times when I lost a shoe it seems like I spent a lot of time loosing two or three bets in a row, winning one, and then loosing three more, winning one and on and on. . . . My first question is, is there a way to combat this or pick an earlier "Quit Point". And my second question has to do with a push. If you've lost two hands and then push, do you start the count of loosing hands over? Count the push as a loss? How is it handled?

This week I'm going to Niagara Falls for the holidays and will be putting the Positive Progression to the test. I'll be sure to report back with my results (good or bad of course).

One more question for the group. Over the past few months, I've been using a combination Negative and Positive progression designed by Roger Ford (Silverthorne Publications). Has anyone else used this? Any success?

Thanks!

Ed Boddecker
  • First, welcome to the board, Ed.
    While Walter is better qualified to answer questions about his method, I am pretty sure that a push is not counted. As for a lower stop point, I think four losses in a row, is low enough. You have to realize that long winning streaks do happen, just not often.....
    Were you playing the Silver Fox Method ?
    Good Luck at Niagara Falls....

Midnite
  • Ed or Midnight,

What is the Silver Fox method? Thanks.

Charles
  • eddiebo,

on your question about.... winning one and losing 2 or 3 hands, etc.

if that is happening to me. i will go to the restroom. maybe even set out a few hands. or just quit. cause you're just getting killed slowly.

a good way to watch for it?? well you can count your chips and set a limit on how many units you are going to lose. or count how many hands you've won. that happens a lot to me. if i lose 7 or of 10 hands. ill quit.
    it just depends. sometimes i wont even stay that long. i try to follow walters progression rules, but sometimes i will adjust things depending on how things are going.
    if a table is "choppy" and i dont like something, im gone.
    i find that bad attitudes from other players make me leave a table a lot.
    i want to have fun, so if there is a drunk running his mouth and complaining about everything, i'll leave. i dont want to be around that negativity.
  • Tuffy- The Silver Fox is a balanced counting method. Send me a P M or e-mail if you want more info.

[email]midnitegambler@cox.net[/email]
  • Thanks for the welcome Midnite!

Nope, never heard of the "Silver Fox Method". The system I've been using is basically:

Bet 1 unit, if you loose, bet 2 units and continue increasing one unit after every lose until 6 units and then if you loose that bet 8 units. If you loose that, take a big long break and change tables of course. Also, if you win at levels 1 or 2, you'd parlay your bet. When you win a bet , you would decrease your bet by one level or two levels if you've won two out of three bets. Hopefully this gives you a little idea of how it works.

Like I said, I've had some decent luck with this so I'm really interested to see how it stacks up against Walters progression.

Thanks for the well wishes for Niagara Falls!

midnite said:
    First, welcome to the board, Ed.
    While Walter is better qualified to answer questions about his method, I am pretty sure that a push is not counted. As for a lower stop point, I think four losses in a row, is low enough. You have to realize that long winning streaks do happen, just not often.....
    Were you playing the Silver Fox Method ?
    Good Luck at Niagara Falls....

Midnite
  • eddiebo: Glad you enjoyed the book and hope it proves profitable for you.
    To answer your questions:
    1. A "choppy" table can kill my system... look for clusters of winning hands, as in WWWLLWWWWLWWL, where wins outnumber losses by 2 to 1. If the opposite pattern occurs, change tables or wait for a new shoe.
    2. A "push" is like a "non-hand." Ignore it as far as the progression or quit point is concerned.
    Keep us posted on your game results!
  • Thanks Walter!

I'm at the airport now. . .

ed

Walter Thomason said:
    eddiebo: Glad you enjoyed the book and hope it proves profitable for you.
    To answer your questions:
    1. A "choppy" table can kill my system... look for clusters of winning hands, as in WWWLLWWWWLWWL, where wins outnumber losses by 2 to 1. If the opposite pattern occurs, change tables or wait for a new shoe.
    2. A "push" is like a "non-hand." Ignore it as far as the progression or quit point is concerned.
    Keep us posted on your game results!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!