BS question
  • On replies to my first post: Point taken. I can memorize BS, definitely. I've memorized play scripts 50 pp. in length before, so a BS chart shouldn't be hard, especially since I'll keep using it (mentally, not in hand of course). But there's a problem: What BS chart should I use? I've discovered several out there. They have a lot in common--but not everything. I'm talking about multiple-deck charts here as I don't have the bankroll to attack a single-deck or 2-deck table. The charts are arranged differently as well. It seems every source has a BS chart. Which is the best to have? How can I tell if a chart has a mistake? I need to figure these things out before I commit the studying time.

The Mad Pencil[/i]
  • I'm using a sim for training. It's "Blackjack Trainer for Windows", vrsn 2.0. If this isn't a good sim to use, then what is?

The Mad Pencil

p.s. You guys are terrific. :D[/i]
  • I have found the BS charts customized for various situations located at www.blackjackinfo.com/bjbse.htm to be extremely handy. I hope it is as useful to you too. Good luck! :wink:
  • Mad, the source of BS charts is accurate. If you're comfortable with Excel, design your own chart.

This is what works for me:

row titles:

8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
    A2, A3, A4, A5, A6, A7, A8, A9
    AA, 22, 33, 44, 55, 66, 77, 88, 99, 1010

don't include 7, 6, 5 or 4 because you always "hit"
    don't include 17, 18, 19 or BJ because you always stand
    include all the soft hands to train yourself to think of A,7 as "A7", not "18"

The chart is designed with most common hands first: totals, soft hands, doubles.

When you apply the chart go from the bottom up:
    Is it a double? no, then...
    Is it a soft total? no, then...
    It's a regular total

I use these abbreviations:

H: hit
    St: Stand
    Sp: Split
    Sur: Surrender
    D: Double Down

"3 Card" Tricky spots:
    - If you have a three (or more) card soft hand and you cannot double, always hit A6 or less, always* stand A7 or more (*hit A7 v 9,10,A).
    - If you have a three card (or more) hand where you can't surrender, hit.
    I do not crowd the chart in these tricky spots with double entries - just remember them, or maybe add a footnote.

Draw an outline around each group of actions: hard doubles, stiff hand stands, surrenders, soft hand doubles, soft hand stands, splits through 44, double 55, splits for 66 and above, double stands for 99 and 1010. Outside the outline are hits. The visual aid really helps me remember BS.

You will find spots on the chart that just don't seem right, no matter how hard you think about it. Come back to this forum and ask me. I will explain those spots in a way that will make sense and help you remember it.

This format works for almost all games. Additional rows will be required for single deck games, but I've heard from experienced players that most single deck games have very bad rules, so don't worry.

As far as progressions go, they do not impact your long-term EV. But they DO impact your short term fun. You are using a (mostly) positive progression, so my advice is, "What the hell? Keep your progression going between shoes and suffles. Go for it!"
  • Mr. Ed said:
    .....deck games, but I've heard from experienced players that most single deck games have very bad rules, so don't worry.

Mr. Ed - I don't know who your "experienced players" are, but they are mistaken. There are still plenty of good single and double deck games.... I know, I play them......Grifter
  • You need to tell your other Mod to get into the posting action. HE'S NOT DOING HIS DUTIES EITHER!!! :roll: :twisted: :roll: :twisted: :twisted: :roll:
  • Bug - He is playing this week.....until Sunday afternoon.....Grifter
  • Many thanks to all of you for your answers. I only wish I had more experience & info to share. May luck come your way at the best possible times. :D

The Mad Pencil
  • Grifter, ironically it was Midnite who said most single-deck games offer 6/5 payouts and other unfavorable rules. I guess there is a big difference between "most" and "all". I stand corrected. Don't believe everything you read on the internet :wink:
  • Mr. Ed- Sorry, looks like I used a poor choice of words. ALL single deck games, "in my area" are 6/5 BJ, with poor rules and "I think" they are unplayable. While the single deck 6/5 BJ does seem to be a growing trend, there are still good games out there. I hope that clears it up.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!