please answer
  • A dealer in vegas told me that "it is to the advantage of the player that the dealer must hit a 16" to prove this he proceeded to count the card denominations"more cards bust me than help me. I know it's not that simple can smeone help me elaborate?
  • That's not the "whole story"....

The house advantage from 21 comes from the fact that when we bust, we lose, even if the dealer then busts out.

However, for a card counter, the dealer is correct. He must hit until he gets to 17, and when we know there are an excess of 10's left in the deck, even though both we and the dealer have equal probabilities of getting a "stiff hand", we know to stand, and the dealer has to hit and suck up one of those extra 10s that we avoided.

So that is an edge to us, but it doesn't offset the "we break we lose every time" rule....
  • Don't let the fact that you are more likely to break when you hit 16 influence YOUR play. While it is true that 8 out of the next 13 cards will bust you,in most cases you still have a better chance hitting than staying on 16.Staying on 16 means the only way you can win is if the dealer busts.Something that doesn't happen very often when his up card is a 7 or higher.
    While the dealer was being truthful,its not something you should apply to your game.If you never hit 16,you'd win only 28% of those hands,at best. Hitting against a dealers 7 or higher improves your chances a bit.
    While the dealer benefits from going last,we get paid extra for BJs,can double down on favorable hands,split pairs if we choose,and in some games surrender our bad hands.
  • and never forget:we can flat-out GET UP AND LEAVE whenever we darn well please-the same can't be said for the dealer!
    Prog
  • Chad- The dealer is correct, but only if he has a total of 16 and not just a
    six showing. For example: If the dealer shows a 6 he has a 42% chance to
    bust and if he then flips over a 10, he has a greater than 50% chance to bust. 16 vs 10 is the worst hand in blackjack for you or the dealer and any
    hand you have will be a favorite. Any stiff you have is better than 16 and 17-21 is better also.
  • NYB said:
    Don't let the fact that you are more likely to break when you hit 16 influence YOUR play. While it is true that 8 out of the next 13 cards will bust you,in most cases you still have a better chance hitting than staying on 16.Staying on 16 means the only way you can win is if the dealer busts.Something that doesn't happen very often when his up card is a 7 or higher.

I made 21's from 2 stiff 16's today. :) Playing 3rd base I pulled a 5 against the dealer 9. Dealer turn card was 7 he pulls and 8 to break. Had I waved the card, the dealer would have made 21 and a whole table of scowlling people would have come my way...lol. Its nice to make a hand from a 16 once in a while.
  • Yes, it is amazing how so few players ever hit that 16! I am really entertained to observe all the facial grimacing and contorsions when they are trying to make a decision, especially when the 16 is against the dealer's 7!
  • Well, its not that crazy to grimace. You lose -0.47 when you stand on a 16 against a dealer 17. You lose -0.41 when you hit a 16 against a dealer 17. Its not a razor thin call, but its not such an easy one either. And either way, you are losing.
  • Exactly. So why all the wasted energy. Since any action is a loser, just do SOMETHING, then get on to the next hand.
  • The only way I will ever hesitate on my 16's is when I am using the departure indexies and have to think about it in regards to the count...
    When counting and using indexies based on the K.O. system it says for on a 6 deck game to stand on all 16s when the count is -4 or better. 16 vs. dealers 9 OR 15 vs. dealers 10 when the count is +4 or better to also stand.
  • tribute:

There is losing and there is losing. If you lose 47 cents for every $1.00 bet, as opposed to losing 41 cents for every $1.00 bet, there is a significant difference between the two. Namely 6 cents every time it happens.

Some won't waste the time to bend over and pick up a penny laying on the ground. I'm not one of those. I'll grab it every time.
  • Right, SSR. But you know the kind of players I'm referring to. They ALWAYS stand on their 16 when the dealer has a 10 showing, but against a 7, they don't have the slightest idea. So the fear of busting keeps them from picking up that penny.
  • If you play enough, you will see lots of everything. perfect BS players. hunch players. Drunk players. Stupid players. Obnoxious players. raw beginning players. rich players. players that buy in for $25, every 2 minutes. Etc.

And you learn to ignore them for the most part. :) I don't care whether they play properly or have no clue. Doesn't affect my play at all, except that I generally try to play alone or with one other player (SD/DD) at most, if possible.

Worrying about stupid playing decisions is just another way to get side-tracked and lose your own edge playing the game. As well as raising your blood pressure.
  • Picking up stray pennies does nothing but make your pockets wear out,causing your moneyclip to slip out.

Of course,with todays price of copper,pre-1982 pennies are worth almost 2 cents apiece.
  • maybe or maybe not. My mother had a big jar labeled "pickups". Every coin she found, she put in that jar, and _never_ touched it. When she died 3 years ago and we were cleaning up, this jar had almost $2700 in all kinds of coins (great big pickle jar).

That was much better than a "hole in the pocket"... In fact, there were 2-3 20 dollar bills in there she had found. but mostly pennies, nickles, dimes, quarters, half-dollars and even a few susan-B's...
  • Three years ago I was walking through the lobby of Flamingo Hilton, LV. My foot brushed across something on the marble floor. It was a $20 bill. I put it with the $14 in my pocket, sat down at a BJ table and turned it into $300. Since then I always look down wherever I go.
  • I read I believe on the wizardofodds website that you only play the dealer and not worry about the other players IF you are doing BS only. Can I assume that changes when one learns to CC? Thanks! Angelina
  • CC or not, how others play shouldn't affect you.
  • Thanks for clearing that up for me! Angelina

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!