Where to sit.
  • Does anyone have a favorite place to sit at the Blackjack table? Does one spot do better for you than another?
  • they say it's best for a counter to sit at 3rd base as you have more information available to you when the dealer gets to you.
  • They eh? I've heard about this infamous "they" ... Anyway, I personally prefer the first or second spot, esp. when I'm playing multiple holes in a 1 or 2 deck game. When the counts right and I raise my bet(s) I want the first cards off the deck, also playing the hands doesn't change that much, esp. when you're playing a game where all the cards are dealt up, you can count quickly enough when they come out to know what to do with your hand.

Playing early also gives me some time to 'relax' before the next hand. I can figure out my bet, figure out if I need to keep counting (some shoes go so good or so bad you can just stop counting), figure out if there will be a reshuffle after this round so I don't make a bigger bet and then have to take it back and look like a counter when the dealer shuffles up, etc...

Stick
  • You're in an extremely well penetrated double deck game. There are four players at the table, plus the dealer. There are only 15 cards left and the Hi/Lo running count is +9. That means there are somewhere between 12 highs with 3 lows -- or 9 highs with 0 lows and 6 neutrals. Anyway, the true count is +31. If you sit at first base, you'll get the first card from a very rich pack -- one in which the running count is very likely to go down as the cards are dealt. But just then, the dealer burns the first five cards and puts them on the bottom.

Which seat is most likely to be dealt the high cards now?
  • Bimster said:
    Does anyone have a favorite place to sit at the Blackjack table? Does one spot do better for you than another?

While I am interested in the answer to renzeys post,personally I like to sit at 1st base in one or 2 deck games and at 3rd base in shoe games. Even before I learned the game I liked these seats because I smoke and it is easier to smoke at these seats and not offend other players as much.
  • In answer to Renzey's riddle, I'd say it makes no difference.
  • With the five card cut we have:

12/3 combination then cut off five leaves these possibilities with 4 players and dealer:

Large / Small
    10........ 0.......all get high cards
    9......... 1.......all but one get two high cards
    8......... 2.......one player gets two small or 2 players get one small each
    7......... 3.......three players get one small or one player gets two small and another gets one small....think I'll quit here because the 9/0/6 combination may get a little complicated.

With the 9/0/6 combination then cut off five:

Large / Neutral
    9........ 1
    8....... 2
    7....... 3
    6....... 4
    5....... 5
    4....... 6

We have the possibilities with the exception of sequence which can never be known. Makes no difference where you sit. It is possible to direct the advantage to 1st with a certain card removal sequence, but at the same time if you alter that sequence by one card the advantage shifts to 2nd and so on down the line.
  • With that last minute "5 card burn", I was just trying to illustrate that although you knew the content of those 15 cards but not their order, any seat was just as likely as any other to be dealt the highest hand before the burn -- as well as after it.

The same would be true if the dealer dealt the cards from the bottom up, rather than from the top down.
  • Fred- I took the 5/5 and the 6/4 mix and could vary the outcome all sorts
    of ways. With the 5/5 you can elect to have no player/dealer get two large cards.
  • Sit where you are most comfortable.You may be there several hours,so choose your spot. Which hand do you use for your chips,your drink,your cigarettes,ect. I prefer 1st base so I can spread out a bit more than in the middle of the table.Third base is my next choice.
  • ALONE!!!...
    Playing "head-on" with the Dealer is the ONLY way,
    if you are Really Serious and want to get the most High Cards and Blackjacks per hour...

Also,
    if you sit at 3rd base and play with other people/full tables,
    by the Time you get your Cards,
    which is LAST,
    way AFTER you have already placed your Bet,
    the Count has CHANGED,
    and there is nothing you can do about It at that point.

WHY let other people get ANY High Cards or Blackjacks,
    when YOU can get them ALL to yourself???!!!
  • Surfteq said:
    ALONE!!!...
    Playing "head-on" with the Dealer is the ONLY way,
    if you are Really Serious and want to get the most High Cards and Blackjacks per hour...

Also,
    if you sit at 3rd base and play with other people/full tables,
    by the Time you get your Cards,
    which is LAST,
    way AFTER you have already placed your Bet,
    the Count has CHANGED,
    and there is nothing you can do about It at that point.

WHY let other people get ANY High Cards or Blackjacks,
    when YOU can get them ALL to yourself???!!!

Your kidding right? The count is based on the rest of the remaining pack not the cards that are immediately coming out. heads up is good because you get more hands per hour, but you cant wong in/out unless there is at least one other player

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!