Basic Strategic variations
  • I know count cards. But how I can win if I don t make variations in the basic strategic?
  • Scarne said:
    I know count cards. But how I can win if I don t make variations in the basic strategic?

By changing you bets according to the count. SD are really the only game you can beat with flat betting DD would have to have excellent pen. In shoe games BS deviations are not as important as SD and DD games. You gain more Adv from varying your bets.
  • What count do you use? Hi Lo and halves have complete indices in Wong's Professional Blackjack.
  • I use know the hi low count.
  • avs21 said:
    By changing you bets according to the count. SD are really the only game you can beat with flat betting DD would have to have excellent pen. In shoe games BS deviations are not as important as SD and DD games. You gain more Adv from varying your bets.

Thanks avs21. Then can I play in 6 decks plays without variations?
  • avs21 said:

Oh, excuse me. I m talking about the basic strategic varitions acording the hi low count. Can I play without variations in 6 to 8 decks plays?
  • Scarne said:
    Oh, excuse me. I m talking about the basic strategic varitions acording the hi low count. Can I play without variations in 6 to 8 decks plays?

Yes most of your gain in shoe will be from varying your bets. If you do decide later to learn them I would recommend learning the illustrious 18 they will give you 75% of the gain from BS deviations.
  • avs21 said:
    Yes most of your game in shoe will be from varying your bets. If you do decide later to learn them I would recommend learning the illustrious 18 they will give you 75% of the gain from BS deviations.

Thank you avs21.
    But what is ilustrious 18?
  • Hi Lo and halves have complete indices in Wong's Professional Blackjack. Get the book, memorize the indices, or memorize the illustrious 18.
  • Scarne said:
    Thank you avs21.
    But what is ilustrious 18?

Illustrious 18 are the 18 most valuable indexes to learn because they give you the most from deviating from BS and they are the most frequent to happen.
  • A problem with varying from BS at a crowded table,is that it gets you a lot of grief from other players,especially in Atlantic City.Which can lead to the PB paying extra attention to youir play.
  • NYB said:
    A problem with varying from BS at a crowded table,is that it gets you a lot of grief from other players,especially in Atlantic City.Which can lead to the PB paying extra attention to youir play.

That is one thing nice about handheld games where they deal face down I make wierd plays no one notices, but for shoe games even if you make right BS play they might still start yelling at you telling you are a moron.
  • Here are the variations to basic stragedy with a count of zero or less hit a 12 against a 2 with a positive count stand. Hit a 12 against a 3 with a negative count but stand with a positive count. With a true count of plus 10 hold with 16 vs a 10! If the count is 1 or less always hit 16 vs a ten!
  • NYB said:
    A problem with varying from BS at a crowded table,is that it gets you a lot of grief from other players,especially in Atlantic City.Which can lead to the PB paying extra attention to youir play.

Varying from BS is not an issue. BS says hit 12 vs 2 or 3. That will bring howls of protest. BS says hit A7 vs 9, 10 or A. "But you have 18!" is the howl. And no matter whether you stand or hit 16 vs 10 you will get complaints. I could go on and on. 4 4 vs 6? Never split 4's or 5's or 10's. (they do get that partially right).

Here's how you have to play to not get complaints: You have to play such that if there is any possible decision you might make that would cause the dealer to win when he would have lost had you played differently, you have to not make that decision or you will get grief. If there was any possible decision you could have made so that a player after you would have gotten a better card, you have to make that decision or you will get grief. And since you can't possibly know whether that will happen or not, you are going to get grief, no matter what you do. That's a good time to split 10's (when the count says to) and try to run 'em off... Or hit that 12 vs a dealer 4, etc...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!