Basic strategy with a shuffle after every hand
  • Basic strategy with a shuffle after every hand yields a higher expectation for the basic strategy player than basic strategy with multiple hands between shuffles. If you only play basic, you have to be aware that the more hands you play between shuffles the worst it gets for you. For example, in a SD H17 D10 you will be playing at -0.44% but if the dealer’s penetrating all the way to 75% deep you will be getting probably -0.55% or less. The only way to get advantage of the penetration is by card counting alone. Actually the penetration hurts the basic strategist and helps the card counter.
  • AlexD30 said:
    Basic strategy with a shuffle after every hand yields a higher expectation for the basic strategy player than basic strategy with multiple hands between shuffles. If you only play basic, you have to be aware that the more hands you play between shuffles the worst it gets for you. For example, in a SD H17 D10 you will be playing at -0.44% but if the dealer’s penetrating all the way to 75% deep you will be getting probably -0.55% or less. The only way to get advantage of the penetration is by card counting alone. Actually the penetration hurts the basic strategist and helps the card counter.

I don't believe your numbers are correct. The wizard says that a CSM reduces the house edge by only .02%, not the .11% you are quoting. He has a table that compares CSM vs cut-card for DD, 4D, 6D and 8D games...

The reason for the improvement is the EoR issue, namely once you get an Ace dealt in a 6D shoe, your probabiliy of getting another A is reduced until the shuffle. In a CSM the probability of getting an Ace each round is exactly the same as the previous round...
  • AlexD30 said:
    If you only play basic, you have to be aware that the more hands you play between shuffles the worst it gets for you.

That doesn’t sound right. After a few hands the count might go up which will indicate a rising player advantage. The shoe is just as likely to get better as it is to get worse. In general, deeper penetration will not hurt the basic strategy player that much. The floating advantage may have a small effect, but nothing significant.

AlexD30 said:
    For example, in a SD H17 D10 you will be playing at -0.44% but if the dealer’s penetrating all the way to 75% deep you will be getting probably -0.55% or less.

Where did you get those numbers? I can’t seem to reconcile them on my simulator.

-Sonny-
  • Hello Alex-Actually, the distribution of good or bad cards (H & L) determines if the basic strategy player moves to advantage or disadvantage anywhere in the shoe. It appears to me that this is always an unknown (shoe to shoe) that can't have a known quantification. Averages maybe???

The real reason that a CSM favors the player slightly is related to how basic strategy players play their hands and the resulting grouping of 10's over time because there is no cut card effect . I don't think aces have a real effect because: If we assume an unreal penetration, as an example, where 10 cards remain and 3 are aces. The ratio of aces to other cards vary depending on distribution.

Edit: One other study on CSM's determines that the extra hands does not increase the house take. That is hard to believe unless they are very expensive boxes.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!