Its not easy
  • Its been a while since I posted, mainly because its been pretty rough lately. The last time I posted my team was on fire and doing well, we were all full time blackjack players and thinking things were great. Our bankroll was close to six figures and we thought we'd have a million within a year. Well it just doesn't work that way. We took a beating on our second trip to vegas, followed by a big loss in AC. Those two trips took nearly 1/2 our bankroll. We had an overall losing month after that, and with paying bills out of the bankroll we were going broke quick. One of my teamates bailed because of it, and me and the other guy took part time jobs as bartenders to help out with the bills. Since then we are in the process of training another teamate to play, and we have had some small but morale boosting wins. The bankroll is still close to $30,000 but as I've learned you need quite a bit more than that to sustain a living. Anyway we're down but not out. I will say I've learned alot these past few months, but I still believe I can make it as a pro player and I won't be giving up anytime soon.
  • Good luck Booker.
  • Booker said:Anyway we're down but not out. I will say I've learned alot these past few months, but I still believe I can make it as a pro player and I won't be giving up anytime soon.

Right on, man! Blackjack is definitely not for everyone, but your confidence and determination makes me think that you’ll be back on top of things in no time (although a bartender job can be tough to walk away from after seeing such carnage at the tables). I look forward to hearing some stories and lessons from the trenches.

-Sonny-
  • Booker good to hear from you again. sounds like you have hit some bad flux but keep up your disipline and poise. it is a long bumpy road you have chosen to travel but at the end of the day you just might reach your goals. dont give up.
  • Booker said:
    Its been a while since I posted, mainly because its been pretty rough lately. The last time I posted my team was on fire and doing well, we were all full time blackjack players and thinking things were great. Our bankroll was close to six figures and we thought we'd have a million within a year. Well it just doesn't work that way. We took a beating on our second trip to vegas, followed by a big loss in AC. Those two trips took nearly 1/2 our bankroll. We had an overall losing month after that, and with paying bills out of the bankroll we were going broke quick. One of my teamates bailed because of it, and me and the other guy took part time jobs as bartenders to help out with the bills. Since then we are in the process of training another teamate to play, and we have had some small but morale boosting wins. The bankroll is still close to $30,000 but as I've learned you need quite a bit more than that to sustain a living. Anyway we're down but not out. I will say I've learned alot these past few months, but I still believe I can make it as a pro player and I won't be giving up anytime soon.

The game theory behind blackjack is pretty straightforward, as the actions of your opponant are codified by rules, which means that your decisions will be based strictly on the information in front of you; your hand, the dealer's up-card, and the composition of the remainer of the deck. Blackjack is a purely mathematical game. You could beat blackjack if you have a big bankroll, a pad and paper if they allowed you to use them.
  • The dreaded negative variance will always be alive and well. We all know that in the short-term luck is the biggest factor for a single playing session. Keep the faith I'm sure you will get back on track in this crazy streaky game we play!

Lately I have become convinced that a good 2-deck game is the best way to go. I think you can grind out a profit in a 2-deck game even on a bad day, while 6-deck shoes will hold many losing session for all of us. I currently view the 6-deck game as playable (with good rules) but expect to have a high percentage of losing session. On the other hand, a good 2-deck game is money!
  • Knox said:
    The dreaded negative variance will always be alive and well. We all know that in the short-term luck is the biggest factor for a single playing session. Keep the faith I'm sure you will get back on track in this crazy streaky game we play!

Lately I have become convinced that a good 2-deck game is the best way to go. I think you can grind out a profit in a 2-deck game even on a bad day, while 6-deck shoes will hold many losing session for all of us. I currently view the 6-deck game as playable (with good rules) but expect to have a high percentage of losing session. On the other hand, a good 2-deck game is money!

The two things about 6 deck and the shoe from hell or heaven is that it can last much longer and your spread is greater. A shoe might go very positive early on and stay right there as the amount of cards to be dealt goes lower. If the account adjusts itself right near the end of the shoe after going wildly positive in the first deck, you could have something around 3.5 decks or even more of high bets. So just as you have 3X the amount of cards available, you might have nearly 3X the amount of higher bet hands to play. And besides playing more hands at the higher bets, you are spreading approx 1-12, instead of perhaps 6 or 8-1 in DD.
    If you are winning or losing most of these in the shoe will result in a good/bad session, while you can do well or poorly in double deck, it will never last as long, so you have a much better chance of your win/loss staying closer to an average session.

ihate17
  • Exactly. The variance is higher with 6 deck. That is what you would expect. Your EV is lower and you have to place higher bets.

What people may not realize is how much bigger the EV can be from 2d vs. 6d games. The BS difference in house advantage might not be very large, but counting provides much more advantage for 2d than 6d. The advantage from betting spreads is greater, and so is the advantage for index plays. If you can find a place with a low limit on a 2d game and can spread 1-5 that is an excellent place to play. If you can get away with a 1-10 spread that is HUGE in a 2d game!
  • Just in case anyone is interested, we got our newest teamate up to speed and we took a short 1 day trip this weekend and had a modest win of $2600. Not anything mindblowing but enough to give some confidence to our new guy, and boost morale. We have planned a 3 day trip this weekend, hopefully it can be a profitable one because I took this weekend off from working at the bar. With the Superbowl this weekend the other bartenders said I could easily make between $800 to $1000 this weekend if I worked. As much as I might miss the definite money, I'm just crazy enough to be committed to the blackjack thing. I hope it works out, but if it doesn't I have learned such is the life of the professional blackjack player.
  • and you and your partner go for it without fear of losing money. I understand it could wipe you out forcing you back to what you know best, and your head away from this game for awhile. It could also be the start of David verses G. Sort of like the Rockey movie. Good to have you back and can't wait for next session report. I have a feeling you are going to be lucky, in addition to being a "player."
  • Booker said:
    Just in case anyone is interested, we got our newest teamate up to speed and we took a short 1 day trip this weekend and had a modest win of $2600. Not anything mindblowing but enough to give some confidence to our new guy, and boost morale. We have planned a 3 day trip this weekend, hopefully it can be a profitable one because I took this weekend off from working at the bar. With the Superbowl this weekend the other bartenders said I could easily make between $800 to $1000 this weekend if I worked. As much as I might miss the definite money, I'm just crazy enough to be committed to the blackjack thing. I hope it works out, but if it doesn't I have learned such is the life of the professional blackjack player.

What they will give you on Super Bowl weekend is the ability to bet big and even spread big without much heat. Loads of big bets being made and yours do not stand out.
    What they take from you on Super Bowl weekend is the ability to get games heads up or on near empty tables except for the very wee hours of the morning. Sharing the tables with too many players and perhaps the only way to signal in a big player would be to vacate your seat to him.

Good luck

ihate17
  • I'm flying out Monday. I figure that the regular dealers and critters will be burned out after the heavy weekend and Tues-Thurs will be easy pickings.Last year,we found a dealer who couldn't count,one who didn't collect your bet if you won on insurance,and one who exposed his cards.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!