Which system do you guys recommend for this situation?
  • Im asking advice on the best strategy a 2 person team can use for this type of BJ situation:

-6 decks are used
    -New shoe with about 1.5 decks left
    -Dealer burns 1-5 cards at start of new shoe, players are allowed to view the cards
    -Dealers stay on a soft 17
    -Tables are almost always fully seated
    -Minimum bet is $2, maximum is $10

-How much should one's bankroll be for this?
    -What system would you recommend each person know?
    -Does anyone have any tips or strategies they would like to share for this situation?

My friend and I are going to be "training" for a situation like this for a bit before we actually attempt. But any help, tips, or advice are much appreciated, Thank you!

-Nick-
  • Wow - is this casono in someone's basement? :D

I would not worry about the 6 decks and the penetration. The Soft 17 is good. I would be more concerned about the full tables and the spreads. 1-5?!! That is terrible. I mean, for anyone trying to get on a run or make any money, that really does not leave you with many options. It sounds like a breeding groung for the absolute begginner who is just thrilled to be playing at a real table. But any experienced blackjack player would generally stear clear of these tables. At least I would. Best of luck... :D
  • Your not too far off from guessing its in some guy's basement haha. But yes, my friend and I are both beginners to using strategy at BJ. But we have alot of time to practice our game and would like to have a good run at this place. We both know BS very well, and are able to keep a steady Hi-Low count.

-When playing with 6 decks, at what count should a player sit down at the table (after keeping count from the start of the shoe)? We use the system where face cards count as a -1.

We would each start with $100 each, and hope to leave with between 10%- 30% ahead. But would quit once 50% of our 100$ was gone.

Does this sound good so far? Do you recommend learning a diffrent strategy than Hi-Low? If so, which one? Are there ways 2 people working together can be an advantage? If so, how?

Thanks alot for the help, -Nick-
  • Quit points work for me.

I stop at 40% loss of bankroll.

On the up side I stop if I am up 30% and cross back over on the way down. If I continue to win I keep going until I am up 50% pocket the profit and continue until I start to come back down to the 50% gain. Last time out was a good night and I ended up +120%.
  • What are quit points?

That looks like a pretty good method you have for your profit/loss.
  • I play recreationally. I use quit points to limit my losses, since the house always wins eventually.

Once I have lost 40% of my bankroll I go home. Very rarely happens but this protects my profit from other sessions.

On the profit side one could sit there all day and night given the up/down nature of the shoe game. So once I have a repectable profit of 30%-50% I go home.
  • Nickster: A quit point is a predetermined decision to leave the table after XXX number of consecutive losses. I use a 4-loss quit point. The thought is that a losing shoe tends to remain a losing shoe.
  • Walter Thomason said:
    Nickster: A quit point is a predetermined decision to leave the table after XXX number of consecutive losses. I use a 4-loss quit point. The thought is that a losing shoe tends to remain a losing shoe.

Walter,
    I understand that your 5,000 hands study from your book shows a net profit while implementing the stop loss of –4, but the reality is totally different. The 5,000 hands is not near enough for a long run conclusion. If you would take 100 or more thousands of hands you will see that stop loss has no effect on EV. The game of BJ, as you probably know, is a game of numbers, but the problem is that the numbers are not equal. To overcome that you have to win more money on less number of hands in order to beat the game.

Walter, with all due respect, I can honestly say that in the past I played your system and had some success with, but in a choppy game like BJ you have hard time making money. In order to win some money using your system with stop loss at –4 you have to get involved in some winning streaks along the way. You have to have some winning streaks plus you have to get a balanced win/loss ration over all. If you get 50/50 in a choppy game you LOSE. If you get 49W/51L without long winning streaks you lose too. If you get 45W/55L a 10% house edge you lose no matter stop loss or not.

Your system is probably best suited for Baccarat where you can take advantage of long streaks. In BJ you need a system that can handle choppy outcomes.

It is madness to "walk" after a pre-set number of losses if those losses do not significantly jeopardize your bankroll, because you have every reason to believe that most losses will in time be offset by matching wins. If you make a habit of walking away from every shoe or whatever before the tide turns, you're likely to sustain more losses overall. This is not just theory, other tests prove that in the long run doesn't matter what you do by way of walking or sitting still and playing.

My research shows that to terminate the play against a given shoe or deck because of consecutive losses, regardless of the value of those losses, is pointless at best and damaging at worst.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!