The Burn Card
  • Here's a situation for this weeks quiz. You find the great game, 2 decks, dealer stands soft 17, double after split, with late surrender. Its a $50 minimum. After a few "shoes" of double deck, you spot the burn-card as a Five of Diamonds.

This weeks question for Basic Strategy...
    What effect does this have?
  • A perfect score.

The player has about a 0.2% advantage. For me playing A5, I would play for double.
  • I don't get it.. Remember me, the simpleton, are you talking about the dealers hole card or the card she burns prior to dealing the first hands? If not the hole card, you would double your bet based on the value of one card out of 103 left in her hand? Wouldn't that make the count just -1?
    (Please be easy on me I just woke up)

Mike
  • Mike - I think what Nickels is saying is that you got a look at the burn card and it was a 5. Now before the cards are delt, he quickly doubles his bet.
    BTW it would be Plus 1 (tc + 1/2) and not -1.

Midnite
  • Mike, I was careful in selecting a FIVE. It is the most advantageous card for the house. One can make the educated guess that if a 3, 4, or 6 was burned, that the 2-deck game would be at least even.

Yes, that ONE card does make a difference in a 2-deck game. Its because there's only 8 such cards in the two decks. In contrast a 6-deck game has 24 of each rank, and the removal of ONE is much less significant.

Perhaps you see why 2-deck games are going the way of single deck 21.
  • midnite said:
    Mike - I think what Nickels is saying is that you got a look at the burn card and it was a 5. Now before the cards are delt, he quickly doubles his bet.
    BTW it would be Plus 1 (tc + 1/2) and not -1.

Midnite

You see, I've been counting backwards all this time, that's the problem :lol:

I knew I preferred 2 deck pitch games, I guess I just really didn't understand why until now.
    Thanks.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!