Double on soft 19?
  • Over at Blackjackinfo.com the basic strategy calculator has the following plays for situations where the dealer hits a soft 17:

- Double a soft 19 when the dealer shows 6
    - Split 4s when the dealer shows 5 or 6

Are these legit?
    I've been playing for a few years now and haven't seen these in any of the blackjack books I have.

Thanks for any input.
  • Trenton said:
    Over at Blackjackinfo.com the basic strategy calculator has the following plays for situations where the dealer hits a soft 17:

- Double a soft 19 when the dealer shows 6
    - Split 4s when the dealer shows 5 or 6

Are these legit?
    I've been playing for a few years now and haven't seen these in any of the blackjack books I have.

Thanks for any input.

Well, you split 4,4 vs. 5 or 6 if DAS. If you play in a game that doesn’t have DAS than you have to use card counting index to know when to double 44 vs. 5 or 6 and when not to .

If you have A8 vs. 6 you’ve got to use card count index for this play.

I assume you are using a valid card counting else you don’t have a chance with BS only.
  • Hmmm... at blackjackinfo.com they have these plays right in their "Basic Strategy" engine with no mention of counting. Also, the plays are there whether you double after split or not... they hinge on whether or not the dealer stands on a soft 17.

Not only that, when you play their simulator and don't split 4s or double a soft 19, the Strategy Coach informs you you've made a mistake.

Yup, I count. KO with all the fixin's and sometimes Hi-Lo.
  • I've never seen the site your referring to but it looks like they have some rules defined wrong.

Alex has it right...
    1. split 4's against 5 or 6 depends on the DAS rule, not S17 or H17
    2. soft 19 vs dealer 6 is an index play (double) for counters, for BS you should stand.
  • Trenton- In his charts if you remove DAS then he don't split 44 vs 5,6.
    The soft 19 is just plain wrong........
  • Basic Strategy for dealer hits soft 17 indicates a DD for A8 vs. a dealer 6.
    Also Split the 4's against a dealer 5&6, and DD on 11 if the dealer shows an Ace.
  • Nickels- Can you show me a chart that does not allow DAS and
    still splits 44 vs 5,6. I think they assume DAS.

You are correct about the A8 vs 6 in H17 for BS players, but CC have
    an index for this play and I guess that is were we went wrong.
  • Whoops... looks like I need to go back and learn my basic strategy. Luckily for me I don't have to play H17 games.
  • The original inquiry by Trenton is about BS... not CC.

Ray... yes, one must be allowed DAS for the split of 4's vs. 5&6.

LS is where I see some variations for H17. Almost all have Hard 17 vs. Ace, Hard 16 vs. 9,10,A, and Hard 15 vs. 10,A. Some have 88vs. A and some have 88, and 77 vs. A, and some do not have Hard 16 vs. 9.
  • Against 6 it is the correct basic strategy move (it is also the only correct double down for A8.)
    Alow me to demonstrate the point in a theoretical 1000 hands under infinite deck conditions this hand is expected to beat the dealer about 522 times or so, 422 of them as a result of the dealer busting and the others from the luck of drawing to a winning hand, but never the less the player is expected to beat the dealer in the long run which is why you double down to scare out the most from this advantage.

As for the 4's my book says double lol.

Edit: Doubling A8 is for a single deck game only in a multiple deck game stand. As for the 4's double in a single deck game, hit them in a most muliple deck games except in Atlantic city (DD on any two cards, no resplitting pairs, DAS, Dealer stands on soft 17, no dealer hole card) where you're supposed to split.

As far as things go now according to my sources (books) thats right but hey these two plays probably dont even cost you a hundreth of your edge so learning one set of rules that are 99% right wont hurt you too much. :shock:
  • At what counts do you double S19 vs dealer's 4,5 and 6?
  • You dont need the count to change it's a basic strategy move.
  • AceOfSpades said:
    You dont need the count to change it's a basic strategy move.

Don't play BS because you will lose everything what you've got. The only thing what you will have in this life is what you going after.
  • AlexD30 said:
    [quote=AceOfSpades]You dont need the count to change it's a basic strategy move.

Don't play BS because you will lose everything what you've got. The only thing what you will have in this life is what you going after.[/quote]Always play BS every counting system relies upon it to ensure success
  • To know BS is a must. The way you choose to bet--- flat bet, neg. progression, Dahl progression, counting, etc. - this is the determining factor of your results.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!