How do you bet with the count?
  • A know how to use basic stragedy and I know the high low count of cards. The high low count of cards is when you add a plus one when 2,3,4,5,6 come out there is no change for 7,8,9 and it is a minus 1 when a 10 or an ace come out. Aces coming out are especially bad for the player. How much does your edge change when you have a plus 4 count. How much does the edge change for each plus 1 or negative one for that matter. How are you susposed to bet with the moving count?
  • On average, your adv changes .5 for each inc of the TC. At +1 you
    are playing an even game with most level 1 ct sys. How do you bet
    with the count? That's a tall question and it has an even taller answer.
    It depends on a bunch of variables:

Type of game..1,2,4,6,8 decks
    Rules for your game
    Profit requirements...yours
    Pen
    Environments have limitations
    Your BR and your ROR tolerance
    Your style of play and personality
  • The ideal way to answer this is with a simulator like CVCX.

You can pick your counting system, the precise BS departure indices you use when playing (I-18 for example), the precise rules for the game you are going to play which includes things like penetration, H17/S17, etc, and then you can let CVCX tell you the optimal betting ramp after you choose the min bet size and the spread (max bet size / min bet size) you want to use. This way there is _no_ guesswork. The optimal bet ramp changes with the rules and penetration and number of decks and so forth.

The "AP edge" is so very thin (1-1.5%) that any sloppiness in the betting ramp can wipe out part or all of that advantage before you know it...
  • If the count gets to +75 double your bet....
  • stainless steel rat said:
    The ideal way to answer this is with a simulator like CVCX.

The "AP edge" is so very thin (1-1.5%) that any sloppiness in the betting ramp can wipe out part or all of that advantage before you know it...

AP edge ?
    Is that "advantage player" or "average player" or ?

By the way, how does one convert from RC to TC in average hi-low ? Divide by number of remaining half-decks ?
  • unclenorm, does that also apply to SD and DD? :?
  • "AP" -> Advantage Player.

A good card counter can average 1-1.5% advantage over the house by choosing the best games, and applying his counting skills accurately. Every mistake takes away from that.

There isn't much to take away... before it turns into a losing game where the house once again has the advantage or edge, not you.

Technically every change in the rules for a game will change optimal betting strategy. Practically, you can't remember different betting ramps for 50 different sets of game rules, but you had better have an idea of when you have an advantage and when you don't. with respect to the true count, so that you bet properly.
  • as far as that +75 count goes, that will be difficult to reach. :)

In SD, using hi-lo. there are only 20 + cards in the deck. You could theoretically get down to 1/4 deck remaining, with nothing but 10's/A's left, and have a RC of 13, or a TC of 52. But 75 would be tough in SD. In DD, the same problem arises. No way to have more than 52 10 cards in a 52 card deck. So when you normalize the running count into a true count, and you get 75, you need to practice more. Or work on your math skills. Or both.

:)
  • slpgh...I'm surprised you didn't know that AP meant an Advantage Player considering your knowledge of the game.
  • I suggest, SIMPLE is the key. For 6 or 8 decks, use:

1 unit at +1
    2 units at +2
    3 units at +3
    4 units at +4
    5 units at +5 or more
    less than +1 bet as little as possible (maybe 1/2 unit)
    less than -1 - go to the bathroom (they will think you have a medical problem, but who cares)
    less than -2 - go to the bathroom (no one will notice)

Truncate, don't round (e.g. with 6 decks remaining, a running count of 11 means +1)
  • I'm assuming that using that betting ramp for 6D, that at a TC <= 0 your bet will be zero? (wong out) Otherwise the spread looks too small to beat a 6D shoe unless you are using really big units.
  • Wong out at -1.

Sorry, my "unit" is not the conventional "Unit" - I bet 0.5 units at a zero count up to 5 units at +5 or more. It's just easier for me to multiply by 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 than 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10.

Most would say "Spread 1 to 10"

I once played at a $2 table with a max bet of $50. I bet $2 as my waiting bet and $10 at +1...$50 at +5. Iwas very happy.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!