double 8 spilt on A ??
  • is that really a correct strategy :shock:

i mean is it worth to loss one more bet
  • Again, a pair of 8's is a losing hand, but you lose less by splitting. Sometimes you win both hands. Over the course of many attempts, you lose less by splitting than by hitting or standing.
  • PJ said:
    Again, a pair of 8's is a losing hand, but you lose less by splitting. Sometimes you win both hands. Over the course of many attempts, you lose less by splitting than by hitting or standing.

1. 88 vs. T is a losing hand no matter what you do. It losses less if you split but at a price. For this play to be optimal it has to become a DAS on one of the hands to have any chance to make it alive. It requires a 1,263 bank units at the time you get to play that hand per BS, else you are putting your bankroll in jeopardy.
    2. The Basic Strategy for 6 decks calls for not surrendering 87 vs. 10. However this a very close play and I calculate the Critical fraction to be 0.0679% This means that a Kelly player who had only bet 1 unit on this play would not be justified in following the Basic Strategy unless the bankroll exceeded 1,470 units!
    3. BS calls for doubling Ace-2 vs. 5. However the 6 decks require bank to be 576 units to play that hand optimally. For a 2 decks game it require only 66 units.
    4. Even a lucrative double, like A7 v 6, is not justified if more than 13.7% of the bank has been bet.
    5. For example, you’re playing your last 4 chips and you bet one of them, receiving a hard eleven against a dealer 5 up card. You shouldn’t double, you need 5 chips including the one you’ve bet. Critical fraction for this play is 20% of your available chips. You just bet 25% of your chips, so you just hit the hand this time.
    6. The most volatile plays in 2 deck game are 92 or 83 vs. ACE. It requires 1,805 bank units to play it optimally anything less is a HIT. If you bet is $10 and receive a 92 vs. A you will double only if your bankroll is at $18,050 else you HIT. If you get a 74 or a 65 vs. A you can double with only 464 bankroll units, or $4,640
  • ...If there's one piece of basic strategy that even a new player will hear often it would be "Always split aces and eights". They're both a losing hand by themselves, but splitting eights can give you double down opportunities, or you also have a good chance of getting an 18.

If the dealer shows an ace, but doesnt have a blackjack, odds are an 18 will be good enough to win the hand.
  • actually the average dealer "made hand" is > 18. So that 18 is going to lose more than it wins. But the split option gives you the chance to occasionally double down, and that is enough to make this less a loser than standing. But you are likely going to lose whether you split, stand, or what...
  • if dealer got A , i also spilt , right ?

how many larger advantage i can get in this case ??
  • Yep. It's better to split 88vA than hit (or surrender). All three choices are losers, but splitting will loose you less. Here's why:

If you have the opportunity to split 88vA, it means the dealer does NOT have BJ, since he already checked. (If he doesn't check, your loss is usually limited to your initial wager) So right off the bat, your chances are not as bad as they seem.

You've got a 4/13 chance of getting a 10, which gives you 18. You've got a 1/13 of getting an Ace, which gives you 19. You've got a 2/13 chance of getting a 2 or a 3, which points you toward a 20 or 21 if the next card is a 10. If you pull an 8, you can start all over again. So 7/12 (12, because 8 lets you start all over again) of the cards give you 18 or better. If you get 4,5,6 or 7 it stinks, but at least you get another chance to pull a good card. If you pull a 9, you're stuck with 17.

The dealer does not have a 10 underneath, so he has a 1/9 chance of pulling a A, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9. With a 7, 8 or 9, you'll probably lose. With A, 2 or 3, he'll probably end up with 17-21 - whether you win depends on what you have....

Figure the rest out, I have to put the kids to bed...
  • AlexD30 said:
    [quote=PJ]Again, a pair of 8's is a losing hand, but you lose less by splitting. Sometimes you win both hands. Over the course of many attempts, you lose less by splitting than by hitting or standing.

1. 88 vs. T is a losing hand no matter what you do. It losses less if you split but at a price. For this play to be optimal it has to become a DAS on one of the hands to have any chance to make it alive. It requires a 1,263 bank units at the time you get to play that hand per BS, else you are putting your bankroll in jeopardy.

6. The most volatile plays in 2 deck game are 92 or 83 vs. ACE. It requires 1,805 bank units to play it optimally anything less is a HIT. If you bet is $10 and receive a 92 vs. A you will double only if your bankroll is at $18,050 else you HIT. If you get a 74 or a 65 vs. A you can double with only 464 bankroll units, or $4,640[/quote]

Huh??? I have never heard of a prereq of having $5000 to play properly a BS hand in doubledeck, single, or any other # of decks of blackjack and dont understand why that much money is required... Can someone confirm or deny what Alex said? That makes no sense to me and furthermore I'm now only MORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRE confused!!!! :(

~ConFUSEDLieZEL!!!!~ :roll:

• Hello?????? It'd be nice if someone actually answered me...

Why are you people not talking?

Grr...............

• Maybe send private message to Alex. I would also like to know how bank roll calculations are derived.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!