• i read the blackjack book2 states that

when u got 16 with either a 4 or 5 inside vs dealer 10

then we should stand

then how about the same case vs dealer A , stand or hit ??

actually i really think strange to still hit 16 vs A after i got so many small cards , it seems i have already take all the small card and let the dealer got the pic to get his BJ , and actually most time is that :(
  • when you have 16 and dealer has 7-11 always hit thats basic strategy. learn your charts man. if you have 16 and dealer shows 2-6 stay. they have charts for a reason.
  • ^ I think you should read what he said properly. With ILL 18, standing 16 v 10 on counts higher than 0 is correct
  • beyond14: let me remind you that BS changes depending on the number of decks in play. With a single-deck game, removing a single card has a significant effect on the game, but in a 6D shoe, the effect of removal is greatly reduced.

There are BS charts that give what are called "composition-dependent" rules. For example if you have a 16 that is made up of nothing but low cards (say 8 2's in a DD game) then hitting would be foolish since a bunch of small cards have been removed. If you were counting, you might still hit if the count was still negative, meaning even more big cards have been removed. Composition-dependent basic strategy simply fits between pure BS and counting. You at least take the current cards you see into consideration with composition-dependent strategies...

But that won't get you an advantage. To get there, you have to count.
  • beyond14- 16 vs A is another of those dog hands(32:10 underdog), but
    not as bad as 16 vs 10(33:10 underdog). In the case of 16 vs 10, the only
    thing we know for sure is the dealer does not have an ace, otherwise BJ.
    In this same case, the dealer, on average, has a 30% chance of having a
    ten in the hole. That's almost a third of the cards.

Now take the case of 16 vs A: We know for sure that he does not have a
    10, otherwise blackjack. We know that the best card that he could have
    would be a nine and his chance of having that is only about 7.7%. Further,
    the dealer bust less on an Ace compared to all cards(17%), he will
    bust more showing a 10(23%).

These are very small differences to be sure, but the game of BJ is all
    about a hole bunch of small differences. Thus, a 4-5 in your hand plus
    the fact that the dealer will bust showing a 10 just a little more often
    justifies staying on a 16 vs 10, but hitting your 16 vs A.
  • but the game I play is the dealer will only hit card at the last when all player has hit or stand their cards

then in that case , we are not sure the dealer got blackjack or not

then is it we should still hit until more than 16 when the dealer still have the chance to get blackjack at last ??

i dont know the bs rule is for those we are sure the dealer is not a blackjack on hand :shock:
  • I don't have an answer to that situation. I don't think I'd play that game,
    but someone else may have a better answer. One other reason to hit
    the 16 vs A is the fact that the dealer has a lot more outs to a made
    hand with the ace. If he shows an ace, no card in the deck will give him
    a stiff. But, with a 10 showing, the 2,3,4,5,6 will and this adds to his bust
    potential.
  • Where I play, the dealer always checks for blackjacks BEFORE players make their decision. If dealers have an ace showing, they first ask if anyone wants insurance. If dealer has a 10 value card showing, they check hole card immediately for possible blackjack before players make a decision. So, a player is prevented from drawing additional cards if dealer has a blackjack. Isn't this standard practice in the US?
  • Folks, this is a "no brainer"......Hit the danged thing! It's not even worth discussing, and it doesn't matter if the dealer looks at his hole card or not. The bottom line for that hand remains the same. If you stand you will win 17% of the time. If you hit you will win 24% of the time.

Yep, I'm back from New Orleans.....all in one piece and none the worse for wear.

Grifter
  • PJ, I don't think beyond14 is playing in the US. I'm not sure where, but it
    don't sound good. CSM's, dealer don't chk for BJ and I'm wondering what
    happens if you have the usual big hands with split sixes or sevens with a
    couple of doubles. If the dealer wins all at the end(with BJ), the HA is out
    of site.

Grifter did you work downtown NO and was it as bad as it looked?
  • Ray - I worked in St. Tammany Parish, in the town of Slidell. It was much closer to the eye than NO proper and really got 'hammered', and yes the damage was much worse than it appeared on TV......Grif'
  • yes , may be no diffrence on the chance

but it make up a problem of splitting the losing hands to make more money losing for some of the time

if we know the bj before hand we wont do the splitting 88s

so is there any house edge more ?

Grifter said:
    Folks, this is a "no brainer"......Hit the danged thing! It's not even worth discussing, and it doesn't matter if the dealer looks at his hole card or not. The bottom line for that hand remains the same. If you stand you will win 17% of the time. If you hit you will win 24% of the time.

Yep, I'm back from New Orleans.....all in one piece and none the worse for wear.

Grifter

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!