HELP OUT A BEGINNER ...
  • Hello one and all...

    Recently I found this page (hitorstand.net) and I´ve been hooked to it since in a good way (if there is one).

    But I need some advice...let´s say the dealer holds a three or a four and I have an ace and a three or four...hitorstand tells me to study the tables(regarding whether to double or hit )... what is there to study since I play on it alone...?

    In what situation should I double and in what situation should I hit ?

    thanks...
  • Basic strategy provides the answer. A4 vs 4 double...A4 vs 3 hit, A3 vs 4
    hit, A3 vs 3 hit....
  • Go here: http://www.hitorstand.net/strategy.php
    and scroll down to Blackjack Strategy and look at the charts for split/double/hit/stand decisions.
  • You can also use "The Rule of Nines" that Fred Renzey has written about. It's got a few variances that you need to remember...

    First off, we're only talking about A,2 - A,7 (Interesting - another nine. I don't think he wrote about that one. Is there a numerologist in the house?)

    Remember that A,2 - A,7 you ALWAYS double vs. dealer 5 or 6. Also remember that you should not double against a 7 or greater.

    Also remember that A,4 vs dealer 4 doubles. Aside from this, add your card that isn't an ace to the dealer's up card. If it is 9 or greater, double.

    I had a lot of difficulty memorizing the soft hands in the BS table. This has helped me a lot.
  • Also remember that you should not double against a 7 or greater.




    That is inaccurate, jeffdub... ur suppose 2 dd 2/2 or 3/3 against 7 and sometimes it's good to dd 9 vs 7 too. :roll:

    pianoman, i`d suggest going to a search engine and searching for basic strategy instead of listening to people here b/c as we hav seen they aren`t exactly 100%. :(

    but if u have any q's u can always PM me! id be glad 2 help u out :)

    -liezel-

  • Liezel said:
    Also remember that you should not double against a 7 or greater.




    That is inaccurate, jeffdub... ur suppose 2 dd 2/2 or 3/3 against 7 and sometimes it's good to dd 9 vs 7 too. :roll:

    pianoman, i`d suggest going to a search engine and searching for basic strategy instead of listening to people here b/c as we hav seen they aren`t exactly 100%. :(

    but if u have any q's u can always PM me! id be glad 2 help u out :)

    -liezel-



    Did you really mean split 2/2 or 3/3 against 7 ????
  • Liezel said:
    That is inaccurate, jeffdub... ur suppose 2 dd 2/2 or 3/3 against 7 and sometimes it's good to dd 9 vs 7 too.


    First off, Liezel, I was specifcally referring to soft hands, which I believe the original poster had inquired about. If I read that wrong, my mistake.

    But as for your assertions, the only hands that double vs. a dealer 7 using basic strategy are 10 (incl 5,5) and 11. Anything beyond that is NOT basic strategy.

    Pianoman... see the chart here, and MEMORIZE IT. http://www.hitorstand.net/strategy.php Odds are your play over time will be better if you do.
  • chuckn said:
    Did you really mean split 2/2 or 3/3 against 7 ????


    If that's not what he meant, then he's smoking some serious crack. :shock:
  • Hey Jeff, but the BS saids that you're not suppose to DD on any soft hands if the dealer has anything higher than a 7?

    JeffDubya said:
    You can also use "The Rule of Nines" that Fred Renzey has written about. It's got a few variances that you need to remember...

    First off, we're only talking about A,2 - A,7 (Interesting - another nine. I don't think he wrote about that one. Is there a numerologist in the house?)

    Remember that A,2 - A,7 you ALWAYS double vs. dealer 5 or 6. Also remember that you should not double against a 7 or greater.

    Also remember that A,4 vs dealer 4 doubles. Aside from this, add your card that isn't an ace to the dealer's up card. If it is 9 or greater, double.

    I had a lot of difficulty memorizing the soft hands in the BS table. This has helped me a lot.
  • NC1616 said:
    Hey Jeff, but the BS saids that you're not suppose to DD on any soft hands if the dealer has anything higher than a 7?


    Actually, higher than a 6. See the strategy chart here http://www.hitorstand.net/strategy.php

    A,2 or A,3 doubles vs. dealer 5 or 6
    A,4 or A,5 doubles vs. dealer 4, 5 or 6
    A,6 or A,7 doubles vs. dealer 3, 4, 5 or 6
  • New players may study the soft doubling section of a B/S chart and be able to recite it easily. But when a soft hand against a small up-card pops up in front of them, the chart in their mind tends to melt together.
    That's what prompted the "Rule of 9" to be developed. I've taught it to many players who never would've gotten their soft doubles right without it -- and it has helped them well. It goes like this:

    A) Never soft double against a deuce.
    B) Always soft double against a 5 or 6.
    C) Against a 3 or 4 up, follow the Rule of 9. The Rule of 9 says to add your "kicker" (the card next to your Ace) to the dealer's up-card. If they total 9 or higher, double down. If they total less, just hit.

    These three rules apply to all "potential" soft doubles (A/2 thru A/7 against a dealer's small up-card).
    Most players find it easier to do that in actual play than recalling the correct play from their chart.
    And oh yes; there is one microscopic error in the Rule of 9. It bypasses doubling down with A/4 vs. 4. If you can remember that you should double this hand also, then you'll have all 18 soft doubles nailed. But ieven if you pass that one up, it's such a "borderline" double anyway that your whole game will suffer by less than 1/1000th percent.
  • thank you all...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!